Leather Upkeep

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
What is your favorite product to use to maintain/protect leather? I have never had a vehicle with leather that wasn't ripped (thus i didn't care about it as much) and I would like to keep my seats in nice shape. Drop your favorite products below.

The problem with leather in modern cars is that it's "sealed". Look at the leather in your Wrangler and then look at a raw hide of leather. Notice how the leather in your Jeep almost appears as if it has a clear coat over it? Well, it has something of that sort, which is why the "conditioners" you see on the market will do nothing whatsoever for the leather in your Jeep.

The best (and only) real way you can maintain your leather because of this is to simply clean it regularly. Body seat slowly breaks down the leather over time, and all you need to clean it is something simple like this:

That's what I use, and I use it once or twice a week, wiping down all the leather.

Don't waste your money on any of the conditioners, as they don't work on modern sealed leather. That sort of stuff only works on raw leather basically.

The problem with leather in modern cars is that it's "sealed". Look at the leather in your Wrangler and then look at a raw hide of leather. Notice how the leather in your Jeep almost appears as if it has a clear coat over it? Well, it has something of that sort, which is why the "conditioners" you see on the market will do nothing whatsoever for the leather in your Jeep.

The best (and only) real way you can maintain your leather because of this is to simply clean it regularly. Body seat slowly breaks down the leather over time, and all you need to clean it is something simple like this:

That's what I use, and I use it once or twice a week, wiping down all the leather.

Don't waste your money on any of the conditioners, as they don't work on modern sealed leather. That sort of stuff only works on raw leather basically.
Well that’s something I never knew. I guess I didn’t realize they had changed leather. Learning new things everyday.

Well that’s something I never knew. I guess I didn’t realize they had changed leather. Learning new things everyday.

Yep. The leather they use in modern vehicles is "sealed" like that, which is why those conditioners don't do anything, because they can't actually penetrate the sealer.

Now if you put that conditioner on from the backside (as in you took the seat skin off), then it would work, since the back side isn't sealed.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
My boots and the leather seat on my motorcycle are sealed in the same way that my jeep seats are sealed.
I clean all 3 of them with saddle soap and warm water on a sponge.
Follow the directions on the package, it’ll be fine.