JScan app

Mnkytweet

Is anybody using the JScan app with a USB dongle? Will it work?

I have the Bluetooth adapter and it work fine with my phone. I recently installed an Android HU and no matter what I do, it won't connect to the adapter, but I have 3 spare USB ports.

If JScan doesn't work with, is anyone using a different app via USB?

While there is some functionality I would like out of one of the Android HUs I have never gone that direction because the brands I know and trust don't make any and that gives me pause, as I'm unsure what they remove from base android to make them as low cost as they tend to be.

So that being said, you are probably being a bit of a pioneer on these lines and may have to let us know, thus making this thread the go to for this question around the internets. A HU that could run the Jscan app would be pretty handy.

In my best 4 year old voice.....

BUT I DON'T WANT TO GO FIRST!!!
One thing to pay attention to is the type of BT connection the head unit allows.

I'm not sure what they are actually referred to as, but for instance head phones only connect in a certain way. The same for phones. You can't for instance connect your phone to your something and have it be just a speaker... unless there is an app for that.

The same thing goes for the HU, if may not allow the type of connection that the dongle requires because it is designed to connect to a phone. and a phone, as far as I know, can't connect to another phone.

good luck.!

Reactions: mrjp
Have you tried one of the cheap elm devices from Amazon? I’ve had good luck with them when my more expensive one didn’t work.

I've been using Jscan and OBDLink MX for several years with a couple different Android HU's. No issue. I also have started using the OBDLink SX without problems.

My intent was to get an extension cable for the USB adapter so I could always have OBD info available, but haven't routed the cable yet. What HU do you have? My current one is a Dasaita PX6 restyle unit. It seems like the quality on the full Android units are spotty from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within models/revisions.

And @MacGuyver, it's very handy ;)

I've been using Jscan and OBDLink MX for several years with a couple different Android HU's. No issue. I also have started using the OBDLink SX without problems.

My intent was to get an extension cable for the USB adapter so I could always have OBD info available, but haven't routed the cable yet. What HU do you have? My current one is a Dasaita PX6 restyle unit. It seems like the quality on the full Android units are spotty from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within models/revisions.

And @MacGuyver, it's very handy ;)
How did you get the SX to work with JSCAN, there's no option for a wired OBDII adapter. I just bought an SX to try and do just that. Torque works great with it but I really want the OBDLINK SX working to use JSCAN.

How did you get the SX to work with JSCAN, there's no option for a wired OBDII adapter. I just bought an SX to try and do just that. Torque works great with it but I really want the OBDLINK SX working to use JSCAN.
Oh man, I'm sorry for the confusion. I think I was heavily editing and messed up my wording. I can't get the USB sx to work with jscan and even contacted the developers to see if they would support it, but they won't. I meant to say obdlink sx works great but should have made clear it was with other apps. I use the sx when running torque pro, but have to plug in my mx for jscan. Again, sorry for messing up.

Oh man, I'm sorry for the confusion. I think I was heavily editing and messed up my wording. I can't get the USB sx to work with jscan and even contacted the developers to see if they would support it, but they won't. I meant to say obdlink sx works great but should have made clear it was with other apps. I use the sx when running torque pro, but have to plug in my mx for jscan. Again, sorry for messing up.
Well shoot. Got my hopes up! My android head unit is running Android 8 and I have a difficult time getting jscan to connect to any Bluetooth dongle I have. I actually can only get it to connect to the cheap 9 dollar one they say doesn't work at all. The 50 dollar one they recommend doesn't connect at all with my head unit. They all seem to work just fine with jscan on my phone.

And yes the SX is blazing fast with torque pro on my radio! What version android you radio running? Don't want to buy a 80 dollar dongle just to try it!

My Dasaita is running Android 9 with a custom ROM. Bluetooth is iffy on these things. I have a Google Pixel (which I hate, BTW) running 12 and it has a hard time connecting now. I usually use my phone as a Hotspot & it seems like the differences in the os's and Bluetooth stacks are multiplying. May have to upgrade the hu.

My Dasaita is running Android 9 with a custom ROM. Bluetooth is iffy on these things. I have a Google Pixel (which I hate, BTW) running 12 and it has a hard time connecting now. I usually use my phone as a Hotspot & it seems like the differences in the os's and Bluetooth stacks are multiplying. May have to upgrade the hu.
You hate your pixel? I'll never go back to anything else. My pixel 6 has no problem connecting to jscan. Probably it's my second favorite phone of all time behind an old htc that ran the now defunct windows phone. That was the best system, just lacked app support.

That is the big problem with the android head units. They are not created by google or any other big company. I doubt they will ever get updated, and they never come with the latest version of the OS.

You hate your pixel? I'll never go back to anything else. My pixel 6 has no problem connecting to jscan. Probably it's my second favorite phone of all time behind an old htc that ran the now defunct windows phone. That was the best system, just lacked app support.

That is the big problem with the android head units. They are not created by google or any other big company. I doubt they will ever get updated, and they never come with the latest version of the OS.
I had an LG V50 previously that worked great until it didn't. the Pixel 6 is too cutting edge. When I first got it in Nov, I had innumerable system updates. I've never been one to buy the 1st run of something and this reminded me why. Its fairly stable now except I can't get it to activate the hotspot AND have internet connectivity reliably. I use this feature in my Jeep and for work if I'm called in for a problem (I work as a sysems analyst in IT). If I hadn't spent so frickin' much on it I literally would have smashed it by now.

I installed a custom ROM on my HU that got me several updates, but the developer has moved on to newer models. I will likely update the radio soon, but choices are limited for what I want. At this point, mounting a tablet may be better, but I would sure miss the integration.

The Pixel 6 has connected perfectly with my OBDLink MX using jScan.