Jeep Wrangler JK: Wheel and Tire General Information

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The Jeep Wrangler JK is equipped with monstrous tires. It is a vehicle designed to go over any possible terrain. However, there is much more to tires than what they can handle when you put them through hell. The tires are one of those components that you have to regularly maintain if you want them to last long. In addition to that, poorly maintaining your tires can result in wearing out other components, such as your shocks and bushings. This guide will shine some light on your tires and how to maintain as well as inspect them in the Jeep Wrangler.

Tire Size
Choosing the right tire size is important for maintaining comfort in the Jeep Wrangler. You can find the tire sizes on the tires themselves, or you can find them on the label inside the driver's door jamb. If you want to go up in size, it's recommended you replace the rims as well.

Sidewalls_3_A-127962.jpg

Figure 1. Tire size located on all four tires.

Tire PSI
The second most important thing, after having the right tire size, is to ensure proper tire pressure. The tire pressure tends to vary depending on the weather or if you have a tire leak. The cold weather deflates the tires, while the warm weather inflates them. It's important you invest in a four dollar tire gauge. Checking the tires once a month is a piece of maintenance that shouldn't be taken lightly. If the weather changes, be sure to check the tires as soon as you can. Uneven tire pressure could cause the Wrangler to handle poorly, and it will also cause it to pull in one direction; not to mention the tire wear it will cause. This piece of maintenance takes about two minutes total and could save you a lot of money down the line. The proper stock tire pressure for the Jeep Wrangler JK is 37 PSI for all four tires.

PGP120-127973.jpg

Figure 2. Tire pressure gauge.

Tire Wear
Detecting uneven tire wear can save you a lot of money. There is a reason your tires are wearing unevenly, and if you catch it early on, you could save yourself the headache and the money of purchasing new tires. Bad alignment could cause the tires to wear unevenly, even if they are brand new. Improper tire pressure can also eat away at your tires, along with imbalanced wheels. It's important you glance at your tires as you walk by them, along with investing two minutes to thoroughly inspect each tire for uneven tire wear. As soon as you feel a difference in handling, check the tires and tire pressure.

tirewear-127979.png

Figure 3. Tire wear.

Reactions: Mikester86
I put 2020 Gladiator wheels on my 2008 JK and the stock lug nuts seat flush in the cone of the wheel, but the Gladiator lug is so much beefier than my stock JK lug nut. I know the thread is 1/2-20 an .870 wide at top of cone, for stock JK and the Gladiator is M14 x 1.5 an 1.000 wide at top of cone, but is there a beefier 1/2-20 acorn cone lug nut out there with 1/2-20 thread for the JK?

I put 2020 Gladiator wheels on my 2008 JK and the stock lug nuts seat flush in the cone of the wheel, but the Gladiator lug is so much beefier than my stock JK lug nut. I know the thread is 1/2-20 an .870 wide at top of cone, for stock JK and the Gladiator is M14 x 1.5 an 1.000 wide at top of cone, but is there a beefier 1/2-20 acorn cone lug nut out there with 1/2-20 thread for the JK?

I used these lug nuts when I put the wheels from a 2018 on my 2008 JKU.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NF0EFNA/?tag=jkforum-20

Reactions: mrjp