Jeep making whining noise when accelerating with AC on

Shep763

Making a whining noise when accelerating with AC on. Immediately stops when you turn the AC off. Dealership says its a pulley. Im not convinced. Any suggestions on what it might be or if they are right? 2012 unlimited sport.

Reactions: AaronK
Making a whining noise when accelerating with AC on. Immediately stops when you turn the AC off. Dealership says its a pulley. Im not convinced. Any suggestions on what it might be or if they are right? 2012 unlimited sport.

I would say that if it only makes the noise with the AC on then it's the AC Compressors clutch. I would take it to a shop that specializes in AC work and ask them.

Shep have you figured this out yet?

Its coming from somewhere up there but it only does it when the AC is on. As soon as you turn the AC off it immediately stops.

Its coming from somewhere up there but it only does it when the AC is on. As soon as you turn the AC off it immediately stops.
AC clutch. The pulley for the AC is always spinning along with the serp belt. When you turn on the AC the computer engages the clutch and thus powers the AC compressor. Have this looked at, if it is screaming at you eventually it will just fail, potentially costing a lot more.

Mine is doing the same thing. The clutch only locks the compressor to the pully. If there is a whine when the a/c is on then it's coming from the compressor. If the clutch was slipping then your a/c wouldn't be working.

Reactions: Danarch