Is it worth it?

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
Its looking like its about time to replace the trans fluid in my rig. Typically I do all work to my vehicles myself, but I am wondering if the headache/cost (I would need to buy something like this as I don't want the mess while doing it in the parking lot of my apartment. Plus the gasket and fluids) is not worth it.

I know the process of changing this, but wondering if it is worth taking to my off-road shop to have them do it (I trust them). From anyone that has done this themselves, is it worth just taking to have someone else do it?

If you don't have a drain plug in the pan I know it's a PIA. Also if you don't have a lift it's not much fun.

I'd say if your shop is dependable and reasonable let them do it.

Reactions: mrjp
I just did mine, its a bit of a hassle. I used a vacuum pump (exactly like your link) to get out as much as I could, and have a big pan to catch the rest from the bottom. When you take off the pan, it drips from everywhere. When you take off the filter, even more comes out. I unbolted one side of my exhaust and the pan swap wasnt too crazy hard. Replaced with one with a plug.

If you have a shop do it, just confirm they are going to swap out the filter while in there.

I had heard that it was 60k miles, but just read the owners manual and it says 120k. So maybe ill wait for the middle point of those two. 🤔

Note: this is for the automatic.
I think I had read the same. The disclaimer was if it was used for mail, fleet, etc you go with the 60K. Not sure on history of mine, so just did it. It really isnt that bad of a job. That vacuum pump is key for sure.

At some point the time and effort, getting rid of the old fluid, it starts to make it more attractive to have a reliably shop do it. Especially if you don't have your own garage/driveway to do it in. I do my own oil, like many here but it certainly doesn't save any $$$ but I can choose what fluids and filters to use.
Also it make the shop responsible if something goes wrong

Last edited:
At some point the time and effort, getting rid of the old fluid, it starts to make it more attractive to have a reliably shop do it. Especially if you don't have your own garage/driveway to do it in. I do my own oil, like many here but it certainly doesn't save any $$$ but I can choice what fluids and filters to use.
I agree to all of that. I have a garage and lots of tools, so it makes life easier for sure.

At some point the time and effort, getting rid of the old fluid, it starts to make it more attractive to have a reliably shop do it. Especially if you don't have your own garage/driveway to do it in. I do my own oil, like many here but it certainly doesn't save any $$$ but I can choice what fluids and filters to use.

I wouldn't want to always say "makes shop responsible " for there mistakes, most will say it was done right and you did something. But there are some honest shops out there.

Last edited:
I always do all my own repairs at least I know they were done right in my mind, and i've never had to come back and yell at myself yet because something wasn't done right.
Agreed, aside from my spring install this weekend. I ended up pinching an ABS line when putting it all back together, now I have an ABS light to contend with/fix, smh

• Face Palm
Reactions: Barry and mrjp
I always do all my own repairs at least I know they were done right in my mind, and i've never had to come back and yell at myself yet because something wasn't done right.
It's only when you get so pissed at yourself and start demanding a refund from that guy in the mirror it can get scary....