I'm in a quandary

Annyeo

Last year I had to sell my 2003 TJ for a variety of reasons...most notably because it was becoming difficult for my 93-year-old mother to get into it when I needed to drive her places, and it had some mechanical problems. Sooooo....I did the responsible thing, lol, and purchased a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited. I bought it in April 2021 before prices and availability skyrocketed. I work from home and have only put 3,300 miles in 13 months...and mom has only been in it twice. There's nothing wrong with my SUV, it's got all the bells/whistles, etc., but I really miss my Jeep and particularly my manual transmission. Due to current low vehicle availability and the price I paid for it, I can probably get close to what I paid for it with a private buyer.

I'd love opinions on getting rid of the Hyundai and purchasing a used JK, particularly a 2018, 2-door, manual. I realize prices for used vehicles are not great, but I really can get excited about my SUV. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Drives great, super sound, pano roof, etc. I find it just MEH.

Do you think I'm just being nostalgic for my Jeep-Jeep I drove for 18 years, or are there some good used options that I should look into? Or wait? Or not? :D It's just for me and my dog. We camp, off road occasionally, and live in San Diego.

Thanks in advance.

Based on the markup that many dealers are adding to their new 'on-lot' vehicles, it would not be a stretch to say that you will get exactly what you paid or more for your Hyundai, especially being a Limited. That being said, there are deals to be had on used cars (and new) if you are willing to do some leg work. Working in your favor is that the Jeep you want to buy is not the Jeep that is in high demand. A dealer or individual is going to have a harder time moving a 2-door / manual JK vs. a 4-door automatic. Stick to your guns on both the sale of the Hyundai and the purchase of the Jeep and I think you will come out well, even in today's market.

In terms of nostalgia, I have owned a CJ, YJ, TJ, and now the JK. 3 of the 4 have been 2nd vehicles for me. I have almost always owned a Jeep, and when I have not, I have been planning out buying one. It doesn't sound like you have the luxury of owning both the Hyundai and the Jeep, so do what makes you happy. We only have a short time on this blue ball, so try to enjoy it as much as you can.

• Love
Reactions: Annyeo
Based on the markup that many dealers are adding to their new 'on-lot' vehicles, it would not be a stretch to say that you will get exactly what you paid or more for your Hyundai, especially being a Limited. That being said, there are deals to be had on used cars (and new) if you are willing to do some leg work. Working in your favor is that the Jeep you want to buy is not the Jeep that is in high demand. A dealer or individual is going to have a harder time moving a 2-door / manual JK vs. a 4-door automatic. Stick to your guns on both the sale of the Hyundai and the purchase of the Jeep and I think you will come out well, even in today's market.

In terms of nostalgia, I have owned a CJ, YJ, TJ, and now the JK. 3 of the 4 have been 2nd vehicles for me. I have almost always owned a Jeep, and when I have not, I have been planning out buying one. It doesn't sound like you have the luxury of owning both the Hyundai and the Jeep, so do what makes you happy. We only have a short time on this blue ball, so try to enjoy it as much as you can.
Thank you for taking the time to write. I agree with you. Thanks!! We shall see. Annie