How do I turn ECO mode off?

Lxxtsy

JK Enthusiast
'17 JKU with no menu button on the steering wheel, no eco button anywhere. Stock CD radio with radio controls behind steering wheel.

Is there a way to turn it off? Not sure if it's a display thing or actually affects how it drives/shifts.

Thanks

20210507_074356.jpg
20210507_074406.jpg

Reactions: Duster
IIRC, it just shows when you aren't mashing the throttle. Kind of like the old school vacuum gauge that would show "Economy" and "Performance". I have the enhanced EVIC on mine and it either shows the radio station or ECO. I turned it to ECO since I now have an after market HU and it always shows 560AM or something.

i have a 2014, that has the same set up as yours, ECO mode was off and i turned it on, but now i cannot turn it off. Please someone send help ;~;

From another forum :

"I have the controls on the steering wheel. It's under menu/personal settings. Keep pushing menu until you get to personal settings. Then down arrow on personal settings until you get to "Display fuel settings". Right arrow on that to turn it off. Not sure how to do it if you don't have the steering wheel controls though."

I pay no attention to it. The only thing it does, as MacGuyver mentioned, is allow you to feel better about yourself driving the least aerodynamic vehicle in the world.
Put your Pedal Commander in any one of the sport modes and you'll not have to worry about ECO showing up in your instrument cluster, lol.

'17 JKU with no menu button on the steering wheel, no eco button anywhere. Stock CD radio with radio controls behind steering wheel.

Is there a way to turn it off? Not sure if it's a display thing or actually affects how it drives/shifts.

Thanks

View attachment 118742View attachment 118744
There's no "Eco" mode. That simply tells you that you are not burning gas at a higher rate than your wallet would like. You are driving economically. Just a message. For curiousity's sake which model JK are you driving?

Reactions: Flatback4by4
From another forum :

"I have the controls on the steering wheel. It's under menu/personal settings. Keep pushing menu until you get to personal settings. Then down arrow on personal settings until you get to "Display fuel settings". Right arrow on that to turn it off. Not sure how to do it if you don't have the steering wheel controls though."

Reactions: 1o1Proof and SteveF
2017 Unlimited. Going to see if there's anything in jscan
By model I really meant "Sport," "Sahara," "Willys," ... You don't have a "Menu" button on the steering wheel. Looking at my manual, which is for the 2016 Wranglers, the "STEP" button on your wheel should allow to you find, and switch between fuel average mileage, and "ECO." Since it is only information - doesn't do anything to affect performance, you can simply ignore it. I prefer the mileage display since I like to see how well I can beat the published average mileage.

Last edited:
I keep mine off by mashing the gas pedal everywhere I go!
My first laugh of the day! I have the 2015 Jeep Wrangler and bought it new. I have over 180,000 miles now and never saw ECO on until yesterday. I can't figure out how to shut the foolish thing off but now I am going to do what you do lol!!

It's not a function. It is an indicator only.
When you see the green ECO square on your dash, it simply means you are achieving the best possible fuel efficiency.

Mine came on Monday evening as I was returning from the coast- I was driving almost 80 and a slight downhill run on the interstate made it come on. I almost laughed out loud knowing the worst possible gas mileage I get is anything over 70 on the highway.
It's comical to see when it does come on- sometimes tucked behind a tractor-trailer doing 75 or 80 on the interstate, or going downhill... And never, ever does it come on if you're into a headwind or cross wind or going uphill.

I live where my elevation above sea level is 85'. The 3-hour drive to the fam's place on the coast burns 3/4 tank. The exact same route coming home burns a little over 1/2 tank.
I dunno. It's a Jeep- just chalk it up to Jeeps being different creatures.

Reactions: Duster
Ain’t nothing ECO about Jeep ownership. One year in, fuel mileage tracked since buying. LMAO! Oil change notification just came on at last night’s fill-up. Project for today.

IMG_1263.png

Oh, this also happened this week. :)

IMG_1264.png

Last edited: