How to secure a handgun.

Dirty Dog

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
On todays episode of Getting Dirty with the Dog, we're going to install a biometric gun safe.

I'm your host, Rowdy, the Best Dog in the World. I was born an 80lb Boarder Collie, but I identify as a 3lb lapdog.
IMG_3425.JPG

Evil exists. That is an undeniable fact. And the sad reality is that the police cannot really protect you. Although the vast majority certainly will, on the rare occasion that it is possible, their job mostly amounts to collecting evidence for a hypothetical prosecution. So the only person you can count on for protection is you.

To that end, I have spent 50+ years training in various martial arts, with ranks ranging from 1st Dan to 7th. And because I don't live in a Hollywood movie, where empty hand vs a weapon is just fine, I also carry a gun.

I typically carry IWB (Inside Waist Band) at about 4 O'clock, just behind the hip. This is comfortable, readily available, and easily concealed. But when I get in the car... not so much. It's uncomfortable, really difficult to access, and wears the upholstery. What to do? In the past, I've used several options. The Vette has a leather holster bolted under the dash. The 2011 Wrangler has a holster clipped to the knee panel. The '13 has a magnet on the knee panel.
IMG_5596.JPG

Functionally, these are just fine. The problem, though, is that none of them are secure. There are lots of options for a safe that fits in your center console. That's secure, but it's not exactly fast access. "Excuse me, Mr. Carjaker... can you hold on a moment while I get this open?"

After digging around and considering a lot of options, I came up with THIS solution.

The Vara Safety biometric gun safe was originally envisioned as a way to securely store your firearm in the home, while maintaining ready access. Recently, they added a car mount. The safe is a $300 investment, but you only need to buy one. You can buy additional mounts and swap the safe between vehicles and home or work at will. The car mount kit is $50 and the mount (with an additional charger) is $40.

Vara Safety makes holsters to fit about 150 different guns, so you should be able to fit whatever you carry. 99% of the time, my EDC choice is a Glock 19 with a couple extra Glock 17 mags. I occasionally carry a 1911, and when I need something smaller, a Glock 26 or a Ruger LC9S Pro. They have holsters for all of these. One tip. Most shooters probably know this, but Glock handguns are dimensionally identical around the trigger. The only difference is the length of the barrel and slide, and the grip and magazine. So get a holster for the duty sized gun, and it will work perfectly well for the compact and sub-compact models as well. The safe covers the trigger, and is rated to withstand 350lbs of force if you're trying to break the gun out.
IMG_5597.JPG

The car mount kit comes with the mount, a right-angle adapter, an extension if you want to move the holster farther from the seat, the upright, and the nuts and bolts needed.
IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5598.JPG

Tools needed for this install are a ratchet and 18mm socket, a 3/8" hex drive, and a 7/16" wrench.
IMG_5599.JPG

Start by deciding exactly where you want it mounted. Assemble the mount using the 3/8" hex drive and 7/16" wrench. Don't tighten things up yet, just snug. Use your 18mm socket to loosen the bolt holding the drivers seat to the floor, just enough to slide the mount under the washer. Get everything adjusted to your liking and then tighten.
IMG_5601.JPG

The battery needs to be recharged at roughly 6 month intervals. Or you can do like I did and just tuck the cable under the center console and into the USB port under the armrest. That port is always hot. In the picture above, the cable is in place. I hate cables flopping around my interior, so I am quite happy with this.

When you place your gun in the safe, you push straight down. You will hear and feel it lock, the safe will beep, and the light next to the sensor turns red for a moment.

Removing the firearm is fast and easy. The safe will record 20 prints. So I have my thumb, for normal draw, and both index fingers, for odd situations. As with any new holster, I need to practice a bit so touching the sensor becomes automatic.

Random thoughts:

The safe is a bit thick, but I don't see any way around that. In my install, my calf lightly brushes against it. You could angle it a bit more towards the center console, but the key slot is on the bottom and would be inaccessible. I considered mounting it directly to the console or to the passenger seat, but decided against it. It could also be mounted under the dash, with the grip horizontal. If the biometric lock concerns you, just get in the habit of putting your thumb on it when you enter the vehicle, and pushing the gun down to lock it in place when you get out.

Last edited:
Great info, thanks for the write up.

For me, EDC is OWB. I'm not afraid to Open Carry if thats the way it goes.
In the summer I stick my micro 9's in my cargo shorts. In the cooler months on my right hip OWB. maybe a cover garment, maybe not. ALWAYS a thumb break holster.
If we're Jeepin, I usually carry a 10mm. Used to be a Glock 29, now a SA XD-m Elite Compact. Usually in a chest rig.

A vid of my 1st mag with the Springer 10mm.

Reactions: mrjp and TROY66/68
Well I am really jealous now. Never mind securing a hand gun! (completely illegal here in Canada). After 40yrs of hunting and target shooting and having half of my hunting rifles stripped from me for Liberal political points for decades. The Canadian Liberals, as of Friday banned all new and used handgun sales and transfers. I was sitting on the fence for far too long to go through the Liberal Hoops and Hurdles BULLSHIT. Now, I will never be able to own a handgun. That fable (Fox and the Grapes) I did not want one anyway. NOT. All Good.

Reactions: Nic_dEntremont
"Open Carry can be translated as "First Target"."

Ya, I've heard that line before. Thats what I meant by scared.
I have never seen any proof of that. Its the kinda thing that gets passed around IMHO. Having a good sense of SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is our best defense. Whether OC or CC,

Reactions: Dirty Dog and mrjp
G43 w/ +2 mags at IWB @ 4 o'clock, driving the manual. Long trips even and I forget it's there. Maybe because I'm "fluffy". But, I love the safe idea though for when I need to store it temporarily.

Reactions: Dirty Dog and mrjp
"Open Carry can be translated as "First Target"."

Ya, I've heard that line before. Thats what I meant by scared.
I have never seen any proof of that. Its the kinda thing that gets passed around IMHO. Having a good sense of SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is our best defense. Whether OC or CC,
It's not something that has ever been studied in anything resembling a scientific fashion, but the logic is sound. The bad guy is situationally aware too, because unlike those of us who think something bad MIGHT happen, they KNOW it will. So if you're a bad guy, who do you shoot first?

Reactions: Speartip
G43 w/ +2 mags at IWB @ 4 o'clock, driving the manual. Long trips even and I forget it's there. Maybe because I'm "fluffy". But, I love the safe idea though for when I need to store it temporarily.
There are places you cannot legally carry. In Colorado, for example, it is illegal to possess a firearm on the grounds of a public primary school unless you have a CHP and are in your vehicle. If you get out, the weapon must be left in the vehicle and locked up. I think locking the car is generally considered sufficient, but it is a slightly gray area, especially if the firearm is visible. And ethically, the possibility of someone being able to pop my car window and snatch a gun is problematic for me.

I'm sure the G43 is more comfortable to carry in a car simply because it is a single-stack sub-sub-compact. My most frequent carry choice is the Glock 19, which is considerably larger. I do, on rare occasions, carry my Ruger LC9S Pro. I don't wear a holster with it. I have a clip mounted on the gun, which makes it possible to wear it with beltless clothing, like sweats or shorts. The system also includes a kydex trigger cover. I put the drawstring through the loop. Drawing it will leave the cover behind.
IMG_5610[1].JPG

Have you ever tried to access your G43 while belted in?

Reactions: 72c10
It's not something that has ever been studied in anything resembling a scientific fashion, but the logic is sound. The bad guy is situationally aware too, because unlike those of us who think something bad MIGHT happen, they KNOW it will. So if you're a bad guy, who do you shoot first?
The bad guy is situationally aware? huh.
This is the same guy that's all amped up on drugs or just pure scared because he is robbing a convenience store?

Sound logic? You mean like thinking because you're married you're gonna have lots of sex with your wife? Lol

The bad guy is situationally aware? huh.
This is the same guy that's all amped up on drugs or just pure scared because he is robbing a convenience store?

Sound logic? You mean like thinking because you're married you're gonna have lots of sex with your wife? Lol
If you wish to make your choices under the assumption that the bad guy is barely able to walk, that's certainly your prerogative. To me, it makes more sense to assume a reasonable level of competency. If they are less capable than I expect, that's fine. No problem. If they are more capable... I don't think my family is ready for me to die yet.

i make no assumptions.
I dont put myself in bad situations to begin with.

But lets be clear... there are NO STATISTICS (as you have stated) that support your assertion that OC in more dangerous than CC.

This is your thread so I'll bow out.

There are places you cannot legally carry. In Colorado, for example, it is illegal to possess a firearm on the grounds of a public primary school unless you have a CHP and are in your vehicle. If you get out, the weapon must be left in the vehicle and locked up. I think locking the car is generally considered sufficient, but it is a slightly gray area, especially if the firearm is visible. And ethically, the possibility of someone being able to pop my car window and snatch a gun is problematic for me.

I'm sure the G43 is more comfortable to carry in a car simply because it is a single-stack sub-sub-compact. My most frequent carry choice is the Glock 19, which is considerably larger. I do, on rare occasions, carry my Ruger LC9S Pro. I don't wear a holster with it. I have a clip mounted on the gun, which makes it possible to wear it with beltless clothing, like sweats or shorts. The system also includes a kydex trigger cover. I put the drawstring through the loop. Drawing it will leave the cover behind.
View attachment 122775

Have you ever tried to access your G43 while belted in?
Sorry been a while since I logged in. Yes, I have tried to access it while belted in. Doable, but takes longer and inconvenient. I have a magnet under the dash for access. But, if shit goes awry while I have it on me and belted in. It will suck.

Reactions: mrjp and Dirty Dog