How to Install PCV Valve on a Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Standing for "positive crankcase ventilation" valve, the PCV valve allows airflow through the engine at a regulated rate. Air is drawn from the intake through the PCV valve and into the engine where it's routed into the intake manifold. This circulation of air creates a negative pressure inside the engine crankcase, which draws moisture and oil vapors out. The PCV valve must adjust to the intake manifold vacuum to maintain smooth engine operation. A valve that's stuck open will allow too much airflow into the intake manifold at idle, leading to an engine misfire. A stuck closed valve will keep negative pressure from developing inside the engine, leading to sludge buildup and engine oil leaks as positive pressure develops. Because this valve has so many critical functions, correct operation is crucial to a long lived, reliable engine.

Nov-19-PCV-Valve-118321.png

Materials Needed
  • 1/4" ratchet
  • 3" extension
  • 8mm-12mm sockets
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Hose clamp pliers (optional)
  • Zip ties
  • Hammer
  • PCV valve
  • Safety glasses
  • Rubber gloves
  • Spark plug wire pliers (optional)
Step 1 – Remove the coil pack
Remove the six coil wires from the coil pack. Pull them away from the coil pack with a moderate amount of force. You can probably do this by hand, but spark plug wire pliers can be used as well. The wires are numbered from the factory for easy re-assembly. Remove the two bolts at the corner of the coil pack. Leave the electrical connector plugged in. Rotate the coil pack away from the PCV valve.

wranglercoilpackcorrect-116698.jpg

Figure 1. The coil pack.

Step 2 – Remove the PCV hose
The hose is connected to the PCV valve by a squeeze clamp. Squeeze the tangs on the clamp with pliers and move the clamp from where the hose connects to the valve. Hose clamp pliers made specifically for these clamps will reduce the difficulty. Pull and twist the hose off the valve.

wranglerpcvhosecorrect-116700.jpg

Figure 2. The PCV hose and clamp.

Step 3 – Remove the PCV valve
Tie a zip tie around the metal tip of the valve. This zip tie will be used as a puller to remove it from the valve cover. Grab the end of the zip tie with needle nose pliers. Lay the end of the pliers against the intake manifold and use the pliers as leverage to pull the valve out of the valve cover.

wranglerpcvvalveremovalcorrect-116702.jpg

Figure 3. Removing the PCV valve.

Step 4 – Install the new PCV valve
Slide the valve into the port on the valve cover. The valve uses a rubber seal, so you may not be able to fully press it into the valve cover by hand. Grab a socket slightly smaller in diameter than the valve cover port. Attach an extension to the socket and use the combination with a hammer to tap the valve into its fully installed position.

116704-118303.jpg

Figure 4. Use a socket and extension to tap the valve into place.

116706-118305.jpg

Figure 5. The PCV valve fully installed.

Damn my 07's old PCV valve. 👍 To this write up, Chris.

I have 128,000 on my JKU, bought it at 118,000 in 2020. Don't know if the PCV valve was ever replaced (although it seemed it was operational when I finally got it out. The ball/insert was moving around.

I tried the zip tie method...twice. No dice for this stubborn ass. I finally just took a pair of channel locks and tried to leverage it on the intake with a long screw driver. Didn't work either. That damn thing was stuck in there... but, there was no turnin' around.

Finally I just dug a thin flathead screw driver in the hole and pried up and wiggled side to side... Worked - after 45 damn minutes! Half the seal came out and used a pick for the other half that was stuck in the port.

THAT SEAL was no longer pliable on the bottom half. It felt like it was ABS plastic. So, maybe it was the original????

Replaced her with a Mopar updated PVC and maybe I'll get up to 25lbs more torque 🤣.

Used a 16mm long socket and extension to push the new one in. Manually pushed in with a breeze.

IMG_20220221_164252.jpg

Reactions: Largehit71 and mrjp