How to adjust the headlights on your Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Have you ever noticed the extra notch on your JK's grille while scrubbing the bugs off? These notches are located at about the 8 o'clock position on your drivers side headlight and about the 4 o'clock on the passenger side. This is where your horizontal headlight adjustment screw should be. Yes, you could make adjustments with what's already on your JK, but this would require removing you grille and both headlights, making an adjustment, reinstalling your headlight and repeating until you're happy.

This write up will show you how you can skip those steps. I imagine stock and upgraded headlights would benefit from this.

Here is the extra notch in the grille on the driver's side.

attachment.php.jpg

What you will need
  • Mopar part 55078114AA (you need two)
  • Flat screwdriver for removing the grille
  • Torx T-15
  • 15 mm open ended wrench
Start by removing the grille (flat screwdriver):

attachment.php_1.jpg

Then remove both headlights (T-15 Torx).

There is a black, plastic ring that your headlights attach to. These are connected to the Jeep by the top (vertical) adjusting screw and two non-adjustable screws. The two non-adjustable screws are located at the bottom.

attachment.php_2.jpg

attachment.php_3.jpg

Remove the top adjustment screw with your T-15 and the two bottom screws with the open end of your 15 mm wrench. I chose to back these out evenly to avoid twisting and possibly breaking the plastic ring.

Once the ring is out, grab the factory installed screw from the back. You can wiggle it out pretty easy by hand. You won't need this screw anymore, so you can discard it or save. Your choice.

attachment.php_4.jpg

Install your new adjustment screw by pushing it in through the back where you removed the factory installed screw.

attachment.php_5.jpg

Reinstall the plastic headlight ring. Your new adjustment screw will create new threads. It will seem tight, so just go slow.

Reinstall your headlights and grille. Wait till dark and adjust your headlights as necessary.

I take no credit for this "mod". I found bits and pieces of similar instructions in different places online. I also know some of you here on WAL have already done this.