HELP: Can't figure why my Jeep is making a noise

MCKNZJK

A few weeks ago I noticed this grinding/ rattling noise in my Jeep. I happens whenever you accelerate from a stop. It will happen on and off on the freeways as well. The noise last about 1-2 seconds and will happen multiple times until you really get going.

I‘ve taken it in and they claimed they couldn’t hear anything or find anything wrong underneath.

Please if anyone could give me an sort of idea of what may be wrong it would be greatly appreciated. I have a sound clip of the noise. Hopefully you can hear it and it helps.

Does it have a automatic transmission, a broken flexplate will make a noise when accelerating.

Here is my best advice.

Put the vehicle up on 4 jack stands and have someone get in the vehicle while you roll on a creeper underneath it. Have them put it in gear and accelerate while you're under it. Look and listen for the noise. This is almost a sure fire way of pinpointing where a noise is coming from, so I highly recommend doing it.

Reactions: FloridaMan
My Jeep Commander had that kind of noise. It was the front differential, It happened only in cold temps and after it warmed up it stopped. I came to the conclusion that the electronic solenoid was not completely disengaged. It never got to the point that it did it all the time or that it lasted after I drove it a 1/2 mile.

Check to see if one of the wheels weights has shifted on the wheel and could be making contact with the drag link or tie rod. Check the front or rear drive train yoke. Assuming (according to your avatar) you enjoy rocky terrain thus if the jeep has shifted so you need to examine all areas around the front and rear axles. last place to look and I dread sending you to look in this area, but has something come loose near the transfer case or transmission. if there is a gap, you might find something totally unexpected within that gap or opening.