Hardtop wiper issue

BadDismount

I just finished installing the Mopar hardtop wiring kit on my 2015 JK so that I could connect an OEM hardtop that I bought on Craigslist. Everything works well except my rear wiper. When I turn it on, it wipes partially (roughly 30% of the full travel) and stops in the middle of the window. On the next cycle it goes another 30% or so. It ultimately never completes a full wipe in one cycle and never ends in the home position.

Oddly, when I run the washer cycle, it travels exactly as it should.

The computer has not been flashed, but I thought that only related to the defrost function.

Any idea what might cause such an issue? Thanks!

Mine needed to be flashed. Did the same thing. Did you check washer fluid connections at the pump? Directions showed mine as reversed.

Reactions: BadDismount
Mine needed to be flashed. Did the same thing. Did you check washer fluid connections at the pump? Directions showed mine as reversed.
Thanks for the reply. So the flash corrected the wiper position? How much did the dealer charge you for that?

Regarding the washer, I actually had to swap the hoses in order for them to work properly (i.e. Front tube connected to rear port and visa versa).

Reactions: JustinJKU
Thanks for the reply. So the flash corrected the wiper position? How much did the dealer charge you for that?

Regarding the washer, I actually had to swap the hoses in order for them to work properly (i.e. Front tube connected to rear port and visa versa).

Yep, the flash took care of the wiper position. Everything on these things is computer controlled, so I guess I'm not really surprised. They charged me $120 for an hour of labor. Kind of stupid if you ask me, but I was just happy to have it done. Your dealer may of course be different and charge you less.

Gotcha. I have an airbag recall I need to take it to the dealership for anyway... I'll just ask them to do the flash while they're at it.

This stuff makes me miss my old YJ - everything was pretty cut and dry with that old Jeep!

Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: Chris
I flashed my '14 with my Obd2 Link dongle and an app called OBD2 JScan. Was able to enable the reverse camera with it too. If you're getting the recall done, maybe they'll do it for free.

This stuff makes me miss my old YJ - everything was pretty cut and dry with that old Jeep!

Agreed, it makes me miss my TJ too. Definitely not as comfy as the JK, but a lot easier to work on, since the only thing computer controlled was the engine. On the JK it seems like everything is controlled by the computer. That of course makes it tough to work on things as a DIY mechanic.

Agreed, it makes me miss my TJ too. Definitely not as comfy as the JK, but a lot easier to work on, since the only thing computer controlled was the engine. On the JK it seems like everything is controlled by the computer. That of course makes it tough to work on things as a DIY mechanic.
The cavernous engine bay was nice too. I could practically climb in there and close the top while I worked 😂

Reactions: JerryD
The cavernous engine bay was nice too. I could practically climb in there and close the top while I worked 😂

Yep, I hear you on that. Definitely a lot more room in the engine bay to work on things.

Surprisingly though, the one car I had with more room in the engine bay than any of the others was a 2013 Camaro SS. I was shocked at how much room there was under the hood. I could probably have climbed in there, even with that big LS3!

Yep, I hear you on that. Definitely a lot more room in the engine bay to work on things.

Surprisingly though, the one car I had with more room in the engine bay than any of the others was a 2013 Camaro SS. I was shocked at how much room there was under the hood. I could probably have climbed in there, even with that big LS3!
That's surprising about the Camargo. My YJ was a 4 banger so it looked like a lawnmower engine inside an airplane hanger under the hood.

That's surprising about the Camargo. My YJ was a 4 banger so it looked like a lawnmower engine inside an airplane hanger under the hood.

Oh yeah, I've seen the 4 cylinder YJs, those things have a tremendous amount of room under the hood. Under the hood of the JK intimidates me, everything is just so packed in there.

I had a YJ with a 4 banger... yeah, it definitely looked odd. I miss my old CJ with the straight 6. I literally would rest my feet on the frame rail while sitting on the fender changing out spark plugs. Sigh... ;)

I had a YJ with a 4 banger... yeah, it definitely looked odd. I miss my old CJ with the straight 6. I literally would rest my feet on the frame rail while sitting on the fender changing out spark plugs. Sigh... ;)
That's awesome! One of these days I'll have to get another CJ or a YJ just for fun. My son's getting to the age where we could work on it together and I could give it to him when he turns 16.