Going from a 2inch lift to a 4 inch

Mrapp229

I have a 2017 JK with a 2 inch rough country lift and was looking at going to a 4inch rough country anyone have any tips for doing so or a different lift kit

4" lift make sure your kit has adjustable control arms for the front and adjustable track bars for the front and rear. That way you'll have a better chance of getting it properly aligned.

Some like the RC lifts and others say there are better ones out there.

Reactions: mrjp
If you can find a local Club, maybe you can get some rides in a Jeep with other brands of lifts. I have an ATV lift and really liked it. Mine is at 2 and 1/2 in because I didn't want to deal with some of the other issues inherent in a larger lift.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp
I have a 2017 JK with a 2 inch rough country lift and was looking at going to a 4inch rough country anyone have any tips for doing so or a different lift kit

Are wanting a taller lift because you Offroad, or want taller tires?

If it's just taller tires just get some flattop fenders they will give you about 3" of extra clearance.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
Are wanting a taller lift because you Offroad, or want taller tires?

If it's just taller tires just get some flattop fenders they will give you about 3" of extra clearance.
This is an important question. Going from a 2" (which is pretty basic), to a 4" is a huge change. Know why you want that size.

Where 2" require only new shocks and springs, with a 4" you need new control arms, brake line / abs extenders, and new trackbars just to name a few things. A bad kit at this level can make you hate your vehicle because of how much different a bad kit will handle. Not saying that RC is a bad brand, but it is entry level. research and read real reviews on any kits you are looking at.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Didn't realize RC was considered "entry level," as I just ordered my 3.5 $529 kit for 35" tires. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Should I send it back? Also, should I stick with 33's?
Yes I off-road, but only to pull my boat/hunt/fish; nothing serious - really more for the agressive look...
Thoughts from others who may know better than me???

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Didn't realize RC was considered "entry level," as I just ordered my 3.5 $529 kit for 35" tires. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Should I send it back? Also, should I stick with 33's?
Yes I off-road, but only to pull my boat/hunt/fish; nothing serious - really more for the agressive look...
You don't HAVE to lift for 35's,especially for light duty two-tracking. On my 2dr, the AEV 2.5" lift does all I want which is casual trail riding/exploring. If you disconnect the sway bar or really flex, 35's WILL rub at different times. Don't forget.. the bigger issue is power loss due to gearing. My 3.73s are just adequate in my non-mountainous region. YMMV.

Reactions: mrjp
I would be tempted to just buy a spacer lift from TeraFlex for $120(?) and install that for what you plan on doing. A lot cheaper than RC and might meet your needs. Really easy to do. Can always upgrade later if you feel the need.

I'm fine keeping the RC complete kit if its only an "overkill" situation... Just dont want to shorten life of my tranny (or anything else!)... BTW, how can I find the current gearing ratio of my Sahara?

This will tell you give you the build sheet and that will have the original gear ratio. You can also lift the rear, spin the tire one rotation and count the turns of the drive shaft. Or pull the diff cover and count the gears on the ring & pinion gears and do the math.

Agree with Jerry. You don't need 3.5" to get 35s under your JK. My 2014 has a 2.5" lift with 35s and I didn't have to deal with adjustable control arms, trackbars, etc.
I drive light trails and overland a bit, sometimes tow a trailer and the 35s with the 3.73 gears are everything I need for those trips. If I were to begin towing heavier or start doing more serious off-road, I'd get the rear end re-geared accordingly and consider upgrading the lift and everything that goes with it.
Oh yeah- this is a 2.5" lift with 35s (March 2021 pic- I've since removed the Sahara and Wrangler decals from behind the front fenders).

Rhino March 8 2021-2.jpg

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD

What all comes with the kit, everything that we said that is needed when going to that high of a lift? 35" tires and flat top fenders would be OK for a DD.

If you was to read through some of the problems some of the Members have had with the lifts that wasn't installed without the correct parts you'd see what we're talking about.

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD