Gasket or gasket maker for transmission pan on 2008 JK?

Ghstrydr

JK Enthusiast
I am getting ready to change the filter in the auto trans of my '08 Sahara and have been looking over what I need and how to go about doing it. I have the tools, no problem there, however, I'm seeing two different methods on how to reinstall the pan. Some show the use of a gasket when installing the pan other just use "the right stuff" silicone RTV. Then there is the use of the RTV to hold the gasket in place. I know that the original install does not use a gasket, however if one is available why not use it? As you can tell I am unsure how to move forward. Has anyone completed the filter change on a 42RLE auto trans, if so, what did you do for a gasket? Yes, I know, I am over thinking this but I only want to take one auto trans fluid bath if i can.

I would use a gasket it's much easier to take the pan off the next time and you don't have to spend alot of time scraping the RTV off. Lube Locker makes a real nice pan gasket, been using them for my other vehicles.

I would use a gasket it's much easier to take the pan off the next time and you don't have to spend alot of time scraping the RTV off. Lube Locker makes a real nice pan gasket, been using them for my other vehicles
Sold, I'm going to order the Locker gasket and be done with it. Thanks everyone for pointing the pros for using a gasket.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU