Functional JK Rubicon 10A / Hard Rock Hood Vents

Jon33703

Hi--The JK Rubicon and 10th Anniversary hoods have (basically) fake hood vents, with just a 3/4 sq inch drain hole between the engine compartment and the outside air. S&B Filters has solved this problem for newer JL and JT models, but have nothing for JK... Yet... I reached out to S&B Filters and was told that if enough JK owners reach out to them and express an interest in the equivalent scoops for the JK hoods, they'd seriously consider building them.

Benefits are cooler engine temps, cooler intake air, and using their pipe, you can effectively have a ram-air system. Several YouTube videos (such as Beast Projects) claim a very noticeable difference in this cold ram-air intake.

Any interest? Contact S&B Filters!

This is a DIY mod to make the vents functional (not CAI). I'm not familiar with S&B at all but I don't believe there would be much of a market for it. I would wager over 99% of JK owners want to evacuate heat rather than do Ram Induction. The vents will do nothing to lower engine temps, but properly implemented hood vents can lower engine compartment temps.

In your case , it seems one of these would be pointless with an aFe intake and a supercharger. Do you have any personal experience with S&B?

Reactions: Chris
Hi, Jerry. Thanks for your reply!

I don't know anything about S&B except what I read about the effectiveness of their hood scoops for JLs. So, at this point, it's all hearsay :)

Just guessing, but it would seem that two forward-facing scoops would theoretically reduce engine compartment temps in a couple of ways. First, they would scoop outside air as the vehicle was moving forward and direct that cooler air into the engine compartment, displacing the hot engine compartment air. Second, even if they didn't actually scoop air, the two S&B Scoops have a combined 96 square inches of hood ventilation, a vast improvement to the 1.5 inches I have with the OEM cosmetic vents (that's a 6400% increase in vent surface area, and we all know that heat rises).

Again, I may be dead wrong, but in addition to lowering engine compartment temps, there seems to be a big market for Jeep owners wanting to increase performance, especially after going to larger tires. Countless "cold air" intake systems, K&N styled air filters, throttle body spacers, Superchips, Headers, exhaust, lighter wheels, V8 swaps, etc. In fact, the first YouTube video I found (Real Horsepower Gains in Jeep Wrangler with Intake and Exhaust Upgrades) has had over 48,000 views since May. JK Gear and Gadgets has a video (Do Exhausts and Intakes Actually Help?) with over 97,000 views in less than a year. Even if I'm wrong about people being interested in improved performance, I KNOW there is a huge market for aesthetic accessories (based on all the angry bird grills I see driving around here) and I would think these scoops would appeal to that crowd.

Can you share more about the DIY mod you mentioned? What is "CAI"?

Thanks again for your message,
Jon

CAI means Cold Air Intake.

Curious why you are interested in the S&B product. You already have a CAI with your supercharger per your "about" info.

Yes, there's a sucker born every minute. Ram air scoops that aren't above the boundary area of the hood are just for looks and are ineffective at evacuating heat at trail speeds, which is what my interest would be.

The DIY mod is basically cutting a hole. Lots of articles and posts on the web about it.

You seem to either have a vested interest in promoting this product or are very enthusiastic about getting one. Why do YOU want it? I wouldn't expect you to need ram air with a supercharger, but I could be wrong.

If it's just for looks, that's cool too.

My CAI (thanks for the definition) is an open-top box behind my passenger headlight that can't possibly be getting as much cold/outside air sitting in the hot engine compartment as it would (I assume) get using a closed ram system. The S&B appears to have a duct that directs the passenger scoop's air directly into a gasket-sealed CAI box.

I live in Florida and just want colder, denser intake air for HP gains. With all the people buying CAIs (for no reason other than performance gains) and installing them in a hot engine compartment, I would think that $200 to actually breathe cold outside air would be a no brainer. At least for this sucker! While I don't care about looks (all my mods are functional) I'm not quite ready to cut into the hood of a $50,000 Jeep, thus my enthusiasm in this $200 bolt-on part.

I think the DIY mod is easy enough to do that anything aftermarket is unnecessary personally.

Thanks, Chris. The problem I'm trying to solve for won't be addressed by cutting a hole in the hood (the DIY Mod). While I can see how that would help reduce underhood temps, I'm trying to get cold, outside air piped directly to my CAI. The only other solution I've encountered is a snorkel, which, like the S&B Vent, feeds the CAI with that fresh, outside air, rather than breathing in the hot underhood air.