Front axle seal help

Leadneck

2014 jku

I'm trying to get all my parts so downtime is minimal. I'm doing ball joints and u joints as well.

I'm having trouble locaring new axle seals. Is there an outer seal as well? Or just that plastic dust cover?
Do I need the special axle seal tool or can I just reach though the axle and use my regular seal installer?

Also, ball joints. I'm a spicer fan but I can't find them greasable. The ac delco professional are and the pro line tends to be good quality. U joints I will stick to sealed bc i wont run anything but Spicer u joints.

Reactions: mrjp
2014 jku

I'm trying to get all my parts so downtime is minimal. I'm doing ball joints and u joints as well.

I'm having trouble locaring new axle seals. Is there an outer seal as well? Or just that plastic dust cover?
Do I need the special axle seal tool or can I just reach though the axle and use my regular seal installer?

Also, ball joints. I'm a spicer fan but I can't find them greasable. The ac delco professional are and the pro line tends to be good quality. U joints I will stick to sealed bc i wont run anything but Spicer u joints.

Your axle seals are on the inside of the center section, you have to remove the carrier to replace them. You can buy axle plug/seals that goes on the outside ends of the tubes to prevent mud from building up inside the tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YS8QKY7/?tag=jkforum-20

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
Thanks, I'll definitely add those. Are these the correct inner seals?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GAPDZWY/?tag=jkforum-20

According to Amazon they are not because it doesn't show fitting my JK. If it was me I wouldn't worry about replacing the axle seals if they aren't leaking. You really need a special installation tool to get them installed, but can be done without it.

I have 2 Dana 60 front axles that are alot older and more miles on them then you probably have and they don't leak.

The outers that I linked you to are a real good idea if you offroad.

They're weeping out the end. Amazon doesn't always input what parts fit. I usually go to rock auto and then cross over, but they dont even list them......

They're weeping out the end. Amazon doesn't always input what parts fit. I usually go to rock auto and then cross over, but they dont even list them......

You have the Dana 30 up front? Quadratec has a listing with the Mopar part number, contact them to make sure it's correct then Google that number to see where else you can get them.

Just did my axle seals and spent about $60 for the seal press to push them in. I would think it would be difficult to push them in without it. One thing I learned when reinstalling the carrier was to put it on my chest, slide under the differential and lift it upwards. Like bench press it. I have a Dana 44 and didn’t have the strength to wrestle that beast sitting in front of the Jeep.

Like others have said, you have to pull the carrier to replace the seals. I would only do it if the seals were leaking. The outer seals others have mentioned are a waste of money and time. Seals are designed to work on a machined surface. The part of the axle these seals ride on is not machined round. That means water will leak in but not be able to fully drain because of the seal. I've read many complaints about this.