Freedom Top Leaking

Georgia_Dirt

I have a minor leak in the front, center of my freedom top. Like I said the leak is very minor, however a couple of drops of water got into my brand new radio and ”Fried it”. I have replaced the factory seals on the freedom panels, made sure that the water channels on the top are clean and I lubed the gasket on the top. Any ideas????????

Way back, in the early JK days, there was a bulletin that addressed Freedom Panel leaks.
It described in detail how to install them, and what to look for along the way.

If that didn't work, it went into identifying which seals may need replacement.

Here are the steps for panel installation from TSB 23-025-08. Don't know if it applies to the newer panels. Following these steps in order proved important on my panels. They haven't leaked since.

Note: When installing each Freedom Top panel, always close the windshield latch first .
  1. With both panels removed, carefully install the right side panel onto the hard top.
  2. Make sure the sun visor is folded down and out of the way.
  3. Latch the right header panel latch located at the top of the windshield.
  4. Turn the right side panel rear L-shaped lock (located above the shoulder belt anchorage) so that it fully engages the hard top.
  5. Turn the right side panel rear fastener knob (located on the overhead speaker bar assembly) clockwise until it is tight. [Not too tight, though. People have had them puncture the top.]
  6. Carefully install the left side panel onto the hard top.
  7. Make sure the sun visor is folded down and out of the way.
  8. Latch the left header panel latch located at the top of the windshield.
  9. Turn the left side panel rear L-shaped lock (located above the shoulder belt anchorage) so that it fully engages the hard top.
  10. Turn the left side panel rear fastener knob (located on the overhead speaker bar assembly) clockwise until it is tight.
  11. Turn both center L-shaped locks so that they fully engage the right side panel.

Reactions: DrDmoney