Filling The Void With Folded Down Seats

SteveF

U.S. Coast Guard Retired
Supporting Member
I have a 2015 JKU. When I fold the rear seats down there is a gap between where the rear bed of the jeep and the folded down seats. I would like to be able to let my dog have the back half of the jeep, but he will fall into the void. Is there anything out there to fill it?

Thanks for the info, however I want to be able to fold down the backseat but when I do there is a large gap that he can step into.

I used a bit of plywood, and then reinforced it with some 2x4s. I cut them so they fit into the gaps and rest on the metal seat frames that are exposed. I have one for each side. If you want to then make is less.. DIY, you can then pick up a cheap rug from Walmart that fits the area.

I've got a CanvasBack with a good old Lowe's bought rubber-backed utility carpet over that.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mohawk-Home-48-in-x-72-in-Simply-Awsme-Grphte/5000027637

I never use my back seats- they've been folded down for several years and I occasionally put them up when I clean the inside, but I understand your frustration. I had a WeatherTech cargo liner for my 2-door Jeep back in the day and I wish they'd make one that covers the entire cargo bay of the JKU when the rear seats are down.

Just make one that has a loop at the top end that fits over the headrest of the back seat and "hinge" the mat so when you do fold up the rear seat(s), the cargo liner remains usable while not falling back on itself.

Reactions: mrjp
I used a bit of plywood, and then reinforced it with some 2x4s. I cut them so they fit into the gaps and rest on the metal seat frames that are exposed. I have one for each side. If you want to then make is less.. DIY, you can then pick up a cheap rug from Walmart that fits the area.
Cover the plywood with indoor/outdoor carpeting to dress up the panels.

Cover the plywood with indoor/outdoor carpeting to dress up the panels.
I would suggest rounding off the corners of the plywood as well. Keeps the edges from tearing stuff up, but it does make the carpet application a little more time consuming.

I would suggest rounding off the corners of the plywood as well. Keeps the edges from tearing stuff up, but it does make the carpet application a little more time consuming.
lol, my system is way over engineered. I have a wood shop in my basement.

Though it is a step back from my old hinged system that involved bungie cords and carpeting. I simplified when I put in my bedtred last year.

I have a 2015 JKU. When I fold the rear seats down there is a gap between where the rear bed of the jeep and the folded down seats. I would like to be able to let my dog have the back half of the jeep, but he will fall into the void. Is there anything out there to fill it?
I bought a dog hammock for the back seat from Costco. When I fold down the back seats, I leave it connected to the back of the front seat and it lays out flat covering the gaps. It does not go all the way to the tail gate but there’s the rubber mat in the back. My dog is still a puppy so her weight does push the mat down in the gaps. When her weight increases, I plan to cut a length of pool noodle to put in the gap and prevent the mat from dropping down. The mat is waterproof and appears to be made from pretty tough materials. Sorry, I can’t remember the brand of the mat but this concept should be an alternative for you.