Failed inspection = new jeep

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Took my wife's 2008 JK 2-door in to get inspected after registering, and it failed spectacularly. It passed last year, but this time;

bad drive shaft u joint
upper steering knuckle play
bad u-joint on front right axle
leaking transmission cooler lines
leaking rear main seal
leaking differential
leaking cylinder heads
broken manifold bolts
failed rear axle boots, leaking on brakes - requires new brake shoes (which were JUST replaced)

Total was about $6K to pass inspection. The jeep was a 2008 with 170K on it, worth about $5200 according to KBB.

My wife had actually been looking at a white 2018 that was close by and we ended up trading in the 2008 for the 2018 with 30K miles. We got $5K in trade for the 2008, and we paid about $30K out the door. The white jeep is nicer - a bit more refined, quieter. But, I somewhat regret not just making the old jeep perfect - it would have been cheaper; but I would have another $6K into a jeep that at the end of the day was worth $6K. Someone will get a good deal when it goes to auction.

We tried to look at a NEW JL 2-door jeep, but there aren't any new jeeps to be had - dealers lots are empty.

I am sad about the old jeep - it was in great shape except for the stuff above - it was good cosmetically and i had done some nice things to it - remote starter, new soft top (which I kept), leather interior, new head unit, updated headlights, rear view camera, etc.

On the new jeep, it has a Sony head unit already, so I will be adding the back up camera soon. I will also order an MPC remote starter.

Question - I need a new key, the Jeep only came with one. Dealer wants about $240 to sell me a key and program it. Is there a DIY version of this available?

Thanks.

JIM in NH

Does the person that did the inspection also write up a repair quote? That sounds awfully high and i'd take it somewhere else to get a quote/inspection.

What are leaking cylinder heads and failed rear axle boots?

My opinion is that person is taking your money and also alot of that you could do yourself.

A lot I could do myself, but my wife also needs her car and it would take time I don't have. I really considered it though. Ultimately, my wife deserved a new(er) car and it makes her happy.

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
With time, resources (translated: money) and a garage, you could repair your project Jeep. But, yeah, it means being taken out of service for a while and all of the logistic issues that can bring when it's a DD. I understand- and if you got $5k in trade, I'd say you're okay.

Reactions: mrjp
Question - I need a new key, the Jeep only came with one. Dealer wants about $240 to sell me a key and program it. Is there a DIY version of this available?

Thanks.

JIM in NH
Haven't done it yet, but I hear JScan can do it...

Took my wife's 2008 JK 2-door in to get inspected after registering, and it failed spectacularly. It passed last year, but this time;

bad drive shaft u joint
upper steering knuckle play
bad u-joint on front right axle
leaking transmission cooler lines
leaking rear main seal
leaking differential
leaking cylinder heads
broken manifold bolts
failed rear axle boots, leaking on brakes - requires new brake shoes (which were JUST replaced)

Total was about $6K to pass inspection. The jeep was a 2008 with 170K on it, worth about $5200 according to KBB.

My wife had actually been looking at a white 2018 that was close by and we ended up trading in the 2008 for the 2018 with 30K miles. We got $5K in trade for the 2008, and we paid about $30K out the door. The white jeep is nicer - a bit more refined, quieter. But, I somewhat regret not just making the old jeep perfect - it would have been cheaper; but I would have another $6K into a jeep that at the end of the day was worth $6K. Someone will get a good deal when it goes to auction.

We tried to look at a NEW JL 2-door jeep, but there aren't any new jeeps to be had - dealers lots are empty.

I am sad about the old jeep - it was in great shape except for the stuff above - it was good cosmetically and i had done some nice things to it - remote starter, new soft top (which I kept), leather interior, new head unit, updated headlights, rear view camera, etc.

On the new jeep, it has a Sony head unit already, so I will be adding the back up camera soon. I will also order an MPC remote starter.

Thanks.

JIM in NH
I'd say..."Move out west" North Idaho has none of that inspection stuff. Most all north counties do not have smog testing either.

A different mechanic/inspector might have let you skate on some of those items. Not advocating unsafe vehicles, but “loose” and “too loose” are different things. Glad the wife is happy with your final decision… maybe I can find that old Jeep of yours?

Here in Missouri they check the brakes horn and no cracks in the windshield . They are supposed to check the exhaust but … some dont.

Reactions: BLACKJKU