Wondering what the best option is for and engine rebuild kit for 2011 Jeep Wrangler?

While the 3.8 may not be the most favorite Jeep engine ever, there are thousands of happy 3.8 Jeep owners. I'd be inclined to bite the bullet and go straight to a LS swap. I will give you a build thread title. "Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Just an FYI, our current administration in DC deleted much of the “Small Builders Act” which included the ability to upgrade drivetrains in vehicles as long as they remained within the OEM emissions control guidelines. Hence the Hemi or LS Jeeps became legal if they didn’t pollute more than the original 3.8 boat anchor. This part was due to the fact at one point you could buy a fabulous 180 hp factory 401 AMC Jeep CJ 7 (Yes I did!) that got 4-5 mpg and leaked oil like a sieve! All of this was touted by the Obama Admin to help the small shop, builder or garage mechanic upgrade to more modern power trains, and allow better performance while keeping it clean.
Needless to say a ton of anti-car guy stuff got tacked on to the Bill for PORK and eventually the most important parts as noted went in the crapper. I have built a 6.2 LS Torque monster just for my JK, but when I went before our local North Carolina Air Resources Board in April just to get a sign off as I still need to drive to and from the beaches & mountains I was told the entire program had been scrapped, all I can do is bore & stroke the 3.8 and add a CARB Approved Blower because they don’t open an engine, just look at that ugly chunk of Iron & Aluminum…
They went on to tell me to let my friends know they are being forced to form teams to go out to known 4 Wheeling spots on state and federal lands and start inspections on all of the vehicles with a rotating OBD2= scan to make sure you aren’t getting any more than that WHOPPING 120 ftlbs of torque out of your 38”s Sadly the guy I talked with has an old CJ with an LS, so he was a real straight talker, he’s been there 24 years and has never seen it so bad. He’s just buying a trailer….
Be careful, #1 is a $500 warning, #2 is seizure & forfeite. The big guys feel as they must scare the crap out of us by making examples of a few unlucky folks..

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp