Do I need to have my ABS control module flashed after replacing it?

Sahara_1

I just replaced the ABS Control Module on my 2009 JKU. I was told that now I must go to a dealer to get the new module flashed. What does that do and is it really needed? I drove the jeep afterwards and it seems fine as far as breaking goes. If I just erase the DTC's with my scanner, is that good enough or should I still take the jeep in to get the new module flashed? Thanks again for any comments and replies.

If it was mine and was working ok then i'd just say save a couple hundred dollars and not pay the Dealer. I would think if it need flashed then it wouldn't be working and you wouldn't have any brakes.

Reactions: BigAL07
I put my OBD2 code reader on it and it came up with codes C2206 and C123A. I don't know if I'm able to clear the codes if that is the end of the fix. I do have breaks that work! A few times I ran the jeep up to 45mph and hit the brakes, and did come to a stop. No brakes locked up......so again, do I just clear the codes and if they stay gone, leave it alone or pay the $163 the dealer wants to flash the new ABS module to the vehicle?

C2206:

Step 1. Verify the DTC is active

Turn the ignition on, with the scan tool select ''Miscellaneous Functions'' and restore vehicle configuration. With the scan tool, record and erase the DTCs. Cycle the ignition switch off then on. With the scan tool read the DTCs.

Is the DTC active at this time?

Yes, go to step 2.

No, Perform the ABS Verification Test.

Step 2. Initialize the ABS Module

Cycle the ignition switch off then on. With the scan tool, under ''Miscellaneous Functions'' run the ABS Initialization routine. With the scan tool, erase DTCs. With the scan tool, read the DTCs.

Does the DTC remain active?

Yes, replace the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Module. Perform the ABS Verification Test.

No, test complete, the condition or conditions that originally set this DTC are not present at this time.
---------------------------------------------
C123A:
If the calculated checksum does not match stored checksum.
Related

Possible causes C123A code:

- Antilock Brake System (ABS) Module.

Diagnose C123A-ESP system sensors calibration

Step 1. Initialize Antilock Brake System (ABS) Module

Initialize ECU refer to ABS verification test.

Does this DTC reset ?

Yes, replace the Antilock Brake System (ABS) Module. Perform the ABS Verification Test.
No, test complete for the DTC C123A-ESP System sensors calibration.

Reactions: BigAL07
@Sahara_1. What happened with you situation? Did the codes clear, or did you have to take it to the dealer tob have it flash? I currently am getting abs light, brake light, esp,bas, traction control lights on my dash. Got the code C2200. Am about to purchase a new abs control module. I am trying to find out if I really need to take it to the dealer to have it flashed.
Also, anyone had any experience with sending in the abs control module to get it rebuilt?

Update: This part is impossible to find. I have checked and stores online for a new one. I even called the dealership and they have a note on the part stating they switched manufacturers and they aren't even taking orders until Feb2023. Uggg
What are your guy's suggestions?

I am either going to order one from a website that rebuilds them, or send mine in to rebuild. I have heard some horror stories though. Anyone have experience with sending in your bad one or ordering a rebuilt one?

Update: This part is impossible to find. I have checked and stores online for a new one. I even called the dealership and they have a note on the part stating they switched manufacturers and they aren't even taking orders until Feb2023. Uggg

I am either going to order one from a website that rebuilds them, or send mine in to rebuild. I have heard some horror stories though. Anyone have experience with sending in your bad one or ordering a rebuilt one?

Mine isn't working and i'm not going to worry about it. Just depends on if you like the ABS function of the brakes and can stand the lights on.

What is going to happen when I put the new one in, before it is flashed to my VIN? I assume the Jeep will still drive and the same lights will be on? Can I drive around like that until I get it flashed for awhile?

What is going to happen when I put the new one in, before it is flashed to my VIN? I assume the Jeep will still drive and the same lights will be on? Can I drive around like that until I get it flashed for awhile?

You should still have brakes like you do now, the only thing the ABS does is play musical brake pedal when each wheel does it's braking when they loose braking traction.

I don't like the ABS or the ESP so that's why i'm not fixing my wheel speed sensor.

Reactions: Artisanau
Just got the BlueDriver along with the used ABS Control Module in the mail. Ran the codes before I began replacing the module and got another code for the right rear wheel sensor. Went and got a new one and replaced it, still was getting the C2200 code. Replaced the control module and the pump. Not to hard, just a pain in the but getting the unit out. After replacing it, got 6 more codes for having a module that did match my vin. Took it in to the dealer this morning for a reflash. Took about an hour and cost $117. No more codes or lights, all is well.

Just got the BlueDriver along with the used ABS Control Module in the mail. Ran the codes before I began replacing the module and got another code for the right rear wheel sensor. Went and got a new one and replaced it, still was getting the C2200 code. Replaced the control module and the pump. Not to hard, just a pain in the but getting the unit out. After replacing it, got 6 more codes for having a module that did match my vin. Took it in to the dealer this morning for a reflash. Took about an hour and cost $117. No more codes or lights, all is well.

Thanks for updating us.

I just installed a used ABS module in ours. The dealer said that they can’t flash it because it is used and already has a vin associated with it. It seems to be driving well now and only has the traction control light on now. Anyone have any advice on what to do?

If it was mine I wouldn't worry about it if it's working. Also if the traction control light is on I wouldn't worry about it either, have you ever had the TC do it's thing?

Reactions: Artisanau

I was finally able to get the abs module for my 2016 jeep wrangler from Mckenzie Dodge in Texas.I installed it myself but now I'm getting a flashing abs light and chime which is getting annoying. I did obd scanner reset and it cleared the brake and traction light. I'm getting it flashed by the dealer for $250. Will let you know the outcome

I was finally able to get the abs module for my 2016 jeep wrangler from Mckenzie Dodge in Texas.I installed it myself but now I'm getting a flashing abs light and chime which is getting annoying. I did obd scanner reset and it cleared the brake and traction light. I'm getting it flashed by the dealer for $250. Will let you know the outcome
I just replaced the ABS module in my 2013 jk. Now have the flashing ABS and chime. Did the dealer flash take care of the flashing ABS and chime?

If you’ve already determined that you have a bad ABS module and you have code C2200. Once you replace the module you’ll see C2206 and a few other ABS related codes until you program it. Luckily, the hard part is obtaining a new module right now. Once you do get one. It’s really easy to replace and it’s really easy to program the module yourself. I made a tutorial video to help people out. Feel free to check it out. I show you how to replace the module and how to program it as well.

If you replace the module without programming it you will get the consistent chime as well.

If the module refuses to pass the programming/initialization then you got a faulty module or the incorrect one for your Jeep.

Last edited:
Hello,
I currently have a bad ABS module and the dealership says they won't flash one and that I have to wait until March to get one specifically from Mopar. Do I have to get a Mopar part because I see they have the same parts online, but they just are aftermarket or unbranded. I can't be carless until March. Is it possible to get a part online and have dealership reprogram it? Or should I just suck it up and wait until March. I really have no idea what to do. Do dealerships not flash them anymore? or is it just this one dealership?

Reactions: Dirty Dog