DIY H4 headlight wiring harness for 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am trying to wire up some H4 headlights for the wife's jeep. I am putting in sealed beam halogens and have put together a wiring harness that runs from the battery through a set of relays, and uses the original passenger side headlamp socket connections as the trigger. My wife did not like the LED lights I installed and the OEM tea lights were useless.

I got it all installed and then discovered that it does not work...sigh...

Too dark now to see what I did wrong so going back at it tomorrow. I connected all the grounds, and remembered to put a fuse in the hot leg, so I am thinking I must have crossed my wires somewhere.

Has anyone else done this recently? is there some trick that maybe I am forgetting? see attached diagram for an example of what I am trying to do...2 different versions of basically the same thing.

Looking at this now, I think I might have goofed on wiring up the factory headlamp harness connection and swapped one of the leads and ground. Neither the high or lowbeams work, so it has to be something I did common to both.

Jeep headlight harness wiring.jpg

JeepFan headlight wiring diagram.JPG

I'm surprised that the headlights aren't already on a relay crammed in that TIPM.

Are you using the connectors at the headlights for your trigger wires no 86 on relay?

Last edited:
She did not like the LED's with the amber halos - looked too modern. Plus, I installed them without asking her, so that was another problem. It's HER jeep - not mine. I just get to work on it.

I got the harness sorted. I had the relays wired wrong, 87 and 86 were swapped. Then I found out I had switched high and low beams, but I swapped the 87s from one relay to another and it worked (though now the colors are not consistent).

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU