Crank and sputter no start 3.8l

Tbean505

I'm working on a 07 wrangler with the 3.8l with a crank no start issue.
Backstory... This is my buddy's jeep... It was running horrible but driving with limited throttle I would assume limp mode. He had a "mechanic" come try and fix it which he replaced the throttle body, plugs and wires but it drove the same. He continued to try and fix it but now it wont start at all.
This is where i'm at with it. Sprayed starting fluid in it still no start. I think i'm hearing the fuel pump turn on but if it wasn't its not firing on starting fluid so that's not the issue. When I turn the key to the run position the ETC and Engine light come on then ETC turns off and engine light starts flashing for like 30sec then stays solid. I am getting 3 codes P0688 ASD/Main Sense Circuit, P0222 and P0123... I check the live data on throttle position which it is reading when I press the gas peddle and open the throttle body. so I would assume that's not the issue. I have not tested ASD because I cant find a diagram to go off of. i will keep at it tomorrow but thought i would post here so someone with more knowledge about these vehicles could help out. Thanks.

Have you tried the ECM/Battery reset?
The automotive equivalent to "unplug it and plug it back in". Works more often than you'd think.

Your buddy has air and fuel (since you sprayed it), so that leaves spark.
The P0688 is a low/no power to the ECM condition. Worst case, that could mean the ECM is failing. But more likely it's the ASD relay.

The P0222 and P0123 are TPS codes, but I wouldn't worry about them yet, since the throttle body seems to be responding properly. Make the ECM happy, and it may well make the TPS happy.

The automotive equivalent to "unplug it and plug it back in". Works more often than you'd think.

Your buddy has air and fuel (since you sprayed it), so that leaves spark.
The P0688 is a low/no power to the ECM condition. Worst case, that could mean the ECM is failing. But more likely it's the ASD relay.

The P0222 and P0123 are TPS codes, but I wouldn't worry about them yet, since the throttle body seems to be responding properly. Make the ECM happy, and it may well make the TPS happy.
Thanks guys.. I will try the battery reset. Say spark, fuel and air are good… can I swap the ASD relay with any of the other relays(which one)? If so and a known relay didn’t fix it this leaves a failed ECM ? Or possibly a greater electrical issue?

Thanks guys.. I will try the battery reset. Say spark, fuel and air are good… can I swap the ASD relay with any of the other relays(which one)? If so and a known relay didn’t fix it this leaves a failed ECM ? Or possibly a greater electrical issue?
All of the relays in the TIPM are identical.
If you have spark, the ASD relay is fine. Because if it isn't, you have no power to the coils or injectors.