Could this be a faulty TIPM?

Donna

Hello
I have a 2009 JK. I have a problem that started few months ago. At first it was intermittent, now it's constant.
The dashboard lights up, the speedometer doesn't work, the windshield wipers turn on, the headlights turn on, AC blows warm and the fuel gauge drops to empty. From everything I've seen on here, it sounded like the tipm. I got a new one and after following your instructions. Everything was fine, for 5 miles only, then came back. While dealing with this, I took care of two recalls. One for the passenger airbag inflator and the other was the airbag clock spring. Again everything was clear for five miles before coming back on.

I even left the terminals tied together overnight and unplugged and plugged in the tipm again, nothing. I also replaced my battery

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any guidance.

20200129_134908_HDR.jpg

I'll be honest, electrical issues like this are beyond me. I'm willing to do almost any mechanical work myself, but when it comes to electrical diagnostics like this, I always take it to a reputable shop that has the knowledge and the skills to troubleshoot it, as it beats throwing parts at it.

Have you looked at the Transmission Control Module (TCM) as the culprit? Mine went out and it was sudden too. The dealer had to replace the entire unit along with the wiring harness to be safe. For the record, there are 92 circuits in a 2018 Wrangler JK that are controlled by a TCM.

That is the option to look at. By the way, is the alert chime going nuts too?

I have it at a shop right now. They are stumped too. I'll mention the TCM to them. They're also talking about the CAN bus and cluster.
Yes, the alert chime is going nuts.
Thanks

I have it at a shop right now. They are stumped too. I'll mention the TCM to them. They're also talking about the CAN bus and cluster.
Yes, the alert chime is going nuts.
Thanks
Yeah, its the TCM and a wiring harness. The circuits will have to be individually checked, the faulty harness replaced along with the TCM. It is likely fried, so you got a new paperweight if you want i.

Thanks for the update! The instrument cluster itself went bad? That's not something you hear of often. Glad to hear you got it figured out though.

Well, that was interesting, but then again the instrument cluster is a computer unit itself. There is virtually no direct connection with regards to an old fashioned speedo cable like the old days. All of the instrumentation is electronic and receives its data from the TCM.

Much like the accelerator for the motor, many are "fly-by-wire", no more cable linkage.

I’m having some of the same issues.
Jeep running fine for longest time. Sat for 3 weeks and now starts but no instrument lights, gas gauge and RPM gauge aren’t working, wipers and tail lights are on. Can’t put into gear. Was told to check negative battery cable and found the clamp was broken so changed that out and every instrument light came on and wipers still on. Did go into gear though which was a plus. New battery connector was a little flimsy IMO so opted for a new HD marine connector and now back to no instrument lights etc. switched back to flimsy one and still nothing. I’ve check the ground and all seems to be ok. Going crazy trying to figure this out!!!!

When you check cables you need to check both ends of the cable where they are connected to make sure the surface is clean on both areas. On cables that have crimped terminals on the ends of them you need to look inside the crimped part to see there is corrosion. Also there are other grounds such as engine to body.

Thanks for the quick reply. There does appear to be corrosion inside the crimped part of the cables. They are 10yrs old so I guess it’s expected.
Any fix for that or just new cables?
Thx!!

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Thanks for the quick reply. There does appear to be corrosion inside the crimped part of the cables. They are 10yrs old so I guess it’s expected.
Any fix for that or just new cables?
Thx!!

If you have a way to cut the old ends off and clean the wires good and then put new ends on that will work. I prefer to solder the ends on they last longer to help keep out the corrosion.