Considering my application, what gears should I go with? Should I use spacers?

Jockey 19

OK, my jeep is starting to come along and I am starting to get " Jeep Fever " Big thanks to everyone who has given me advice. I feel like I am down to the last couple of things. I have finished programming with the recommended Jscan program and I have reset my speedometer to reflect the current size tires that I am running. I have the 3.8 w/373 gears and Automatic Transmission. The Jeep still does not love staying in OD and likes to hunt between 3-4 on highway travel. It is not awful, but the condition is there. It seems to do fine between 1-3 but it is OD that is the issue. I received info from an earlier thread that would indicate I might improve my condition by performing a gear change to either 410 or 456. Just wanting to get some opinions around what would be the best for my application. Again, this will be an adventure vehicle for us and not a rock crawler. Looking for all around performance. My current tires are 285/70 R17 so they are classified as 33in but they are slightly under that at 32.75. I already have a 2 in puck lift so I do not see myself going any larger than the 33 in tire at any point. Also, if I stay with the 373, can I prematurely wear out my transmission? Is it doing any harm?
Also: I have a set of hub centric 1.5 in spacers. I am currently running an AM wheel that is 17x8 but the offset is the same as the OE. The tire / wheel combo sits pretty even w/the edge of the fender. If I install the spacers, is that going to decrease performance or negatively effect the ride? I know that most are not a fan of the spacers and would recommend changing wheel offset to widen the stance, but I hate to buy a complete set of wheels. Thanks in advance.

After recalibrating your speedometer did you verify it is close to 100% correct with a GPS. It doesn't take to many miles per hour to make the trans cause issues.

Once I completed the J scan, I could tell that is seems to dial in the speed much more accurately, but I have not actually checked with a gps . My son has a GPS watch and I can do that.

Reactions: BLACKJKU