Check engine light on after transfer case fluid change

OBSFJeep

Need HELP!

Just changed the fluid on transfer case (60K Service).

I used MOPAR's ATF+4 SYNTHETIC. I have on my 2014 JKU Manual 6 Spd Sport - (lifted, on 35s - incase that matters)
I was only able to get 2 quarts in before fluid came out of the fill hole when I was adding the new ATF+4.
When i went to drive it after, the check engine light was immediately on starting the car. I do notice it shifting smoother now :).

...I tried the turn the car on / off / on 3 times move to try and get a code and wasn't able to.

Am I getting the check engine light because I wasn't able to load the last .2 quarts in? Is a sensor showing the t-case fluid low?
I don't have easy access to a scanner or superchip.

And help is very appreciated!!!

Thank You!

The fluid level should have nothing to do with the CEL.

My suggestion is to first take it to your local auto part store and have them scan it (they'll scan it for free) and let us know what code it's throwing. That is 100% where you need to start on this one (y)

Right on, thank you! Code I had was P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System Leak Detected (very small leak).

Must have bumped something loose when I was either cleaning the underbody or chasing fluids?

Appreciate the help! New to the JKU wrangler, more familiar w my 87 Vanagon so the OBD scanner is a beautiful tool to me haha.

That code could be a coincidence and you might have something else going on, but the more likely explanation is that yes, you bumped something loose under there while you were doing things.

Definitely invest in an OBDII scanner. They are cheap, and they work on any newer vehicle from 1996 and later, so it's a great investment.

If you have a scanner I would suggest clearing the code just to see if it comes back. Often times a code will pop up, you'll clear it, and then it will never come back, which I chalk up to being just a fluke.

If you don't have a scan tool of your own to reset the code, disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so will reset the codes as well.