Cheap and Easy Steps

Gadabout

So I bought a 2008 JK with a four inch lift and 35 inch tires. Needless to say, hopping in is not as easy as a stock jeep, especially for my wife who is only 5'4". So I go online to look for some wire rope steps as they use those quite a bit in military and construction (I work for a military vehicle manufacturer). What I found however was quite expensive.

So instead I went down to my local Home Depot and bought a few parts. With some plastic coated wire rope and some wire cable clamps, I came up with a pretty nice step that won't get knocked off when you get into the rocks. And it costs less than 10 bucks per side. See the picture. (I used four feet of rope per side, but you could make it shorter.)

I have Smitty Built Rock Sliders, so I just went through the holes that were already there. You may have to add eye bolts if you don't have holes in your running boards.

One last thing. I put some clear caulk on the cut ends of the cable to keep water out and prevent future rust.

Hope this is useful.

Gadabout
Wire Rope Step.jpg

So I have a bad u joint in my front right axel shaft. I’m waiting for the new one but it’s making a popping noise and sounds horrible. I have the car on stands and I’ve removed the axel shaft. Is it safe to drive with no axel shaft in it? Do I need to remove the other too? A friend mentioned with the Dana 30 is load bearing but that dosent seem right.

I appreciate any help! This is my first post apologies if I’m in the wrong section or anything.