Cheap Air filters Versus Expensive Air Filters

longlivenintendo

JK Enthusiast
Hey everyone. Thinking of changing my air filter and I see there are quite a few options ranging in price. Was curious to know which ones you have all used and if it's worth spending 25 bucks vs 10 and if I should not waste my money on the slightly more expensive options. Happy bew year!

Hey everyone. Thinking of changing my air filter and I see there are quite a few options ranging in price. Was curious to know which ones you have all used and if it's worth spending 25 bucks vs 10 and if I should not waste my money on the slightly more expensive options. Happy bew year!

Just buy a name brand air filter and you'll be fine.

Not to change the subject, but I was just looking at some cold air intake kits on ebay this morning lol. There a couple for around $150 and a few at $350. Thinking about buying the rough country for $150

• Wow
Reactions: WestCoastDan
I use washable filters on all our vehicles. There is no negative impact on the vehicle at all, and a small positive impact on the environment.

A cold air intake will add noise (which some like and some do not) and make a small improvement in air flow. Your Jeep is not going to suddenly become speedy, and if that is your only modification, your carefully calibrated Butt-O-Meter is unlikely to be able to feel the difference. But the formula for engine power is pretty simply. Air & fuel in + burned gasses out = power.

On my '13, a Rough Country CAI, Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust, and 93 octane tune added about 30HP. I've backed off on the tune a bit in the name of engine longevity, but I'm still at 300-305HP instead of the 285HP from the factory. Is that 15-20HP worth the cost of the parts? That's an entirely subjective judgement. For me it was.

I use washable filters on all our vehicles. There is no negative impact on the vehicle at all, and a small positive impact on the environment.

A cold air intake will add noise (which some like and some do not) and make a small improvement in air flow. Your Jeep is not going to suddenly become speedy, and if that is your only modification, your carefully calibrated Butt-O-Meter is unlikely to be able to feel the difference. But the formula for engine power is pretty simply. Air & fuel in + burned gasses out = power.

On my '13, a Rough Country CAI, Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust, and 93 octane tune added about 30HP. I've backed off on the tune a bit in the name of engine longevity, but I'm still at 300-305HP instead of the 285HP from the factory. Is that 15-20HP worth the cost of the parts? That's an entirely subjective judgement. For me it was.
Thanks for the info! I have a CAI on my corvette and love the extra throaty sound I get. I'm looking for that extra throaty sound on the Jeep now. Not concerned with getting any extra HP.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Thanks for the info! I have a CAI on my corvette and love the extra throaty sound I get. I'm looking for that extra throaty sound on the Jeep now. Not concerned with getting any extra HP.

What engine do you have?

Not to change the subject, but I was just looking at some cold air intake kits on ebay this morning lol. There a couple for around $150 and a few at $350. Thinking about buying the rough country for $150
You know, I was literally contemplating the same thing the past month. The more I asked people about it the more I got the "don't waste your money " advice. The risks seem to out weigh the benefits and it doesn't seem to make all that much of a difference. For example by changing the intake, even if your jeep doesn't need adjusting it still might mess up the sensor and cause more problems. I'm all about spending a few bucks to make things better but when it's not clear cut to me, it seems more of a chance to waste money. But, maybe other people have thoughts too

Reactions: BigAL07
I have a no name CAI with a TB spacer. Came with the Jeep. Some days it sounds like it's sucking in the hood.

Reactions: BigAL07
As BLACKJKU stated earlier. They look cool and sound cool. They add zero to the performance of these small Jeep engines.
This is simply not true. Countless dyno runs prove otherwise. No, it's not a huge change in peak power. Peak power boost is generally in the 5HP range with the CAI as the only mod. But engines (other than race engines) don't run at high RPM all the time. The low- to mid-range gains are more important, and a CAI alone is worth about 10HP in those ranges.

No, that's not a huge difference, especially if the CAI is the only mod you make. But it IS an improvement.

Reactions: Dlcain
Because I believe in providing support for ones statements:

This one is particularly useful, since you can see the actual power curve, showing how much more you gain in the vital low- and mid-range.

Cold Air Intakes add power. This is undeniable. It's not a huge addition, but it is real. They are not superchargers. They are not game changers. In conjunction with supporting mods, they produce bigger gains. And the more you modify the engine, the more important it will be to have an open, free flowing intake.

Keep on telling yourself that nonsense and eventually you may believe it. No companies or individuals would ever fake or make false claims to sell a product would they😂😂😢🍺🍺

Keep on telling yourself that nonsense and eventually you may believe it. No companies or individuals would ever fake or make false claims to sell a product would they😂😂😢🍺🍺
The laws of physics disagree with you. More air & fuel in means more power.

Common sense disagrees with u. Anyone on the fence about it go buy one. Roll with for a month and come back and give us a honest review of your new horsepower 🍺🍺

Common sense disagrees with u. Anyone on the fence about it go buy one. Roll with for a month and come back and give us a honest review of your new horsepower 🍺🍺
Keep on denying physics. I'm sure you'll be levitating in no time at all.