CB/ Ham Radio Installation

TargetOz

I’m wanting to install my cb radio I think you guys in the US call them a ham radio sorry if I get it wrong, what I’m hoping for is information on where did anyone rout the antenna wire and power wires? In my other 4bys I’ve owned it was easy to see a rubber grommet in the firewall that you can punch through these wires but on my JK I can’t really see anywhere that I can do this. Looking forward to your reply.

If you take the side panels off the dash (by the door opening), you'll see a foam plug. GREAT place to run power. You don't say if you have a manual or auto, but if automatic, there is a plug where the clutch pedal goes through, IIRC.

Reactions: TargetOz
Not my pic
JK_Access_To_Firewall_RT.jpg

If you take the side panels off the dash (by the door opening), you'll see a foam plug. GREAT place to run power. You don't say if you have a manual or auto, but if automatic, there is a plug where the clutch pedal goes through, IIRC.
Mine is an auto, I did see that plug it looks like it’s silicone

Mine is an auto, I did see that plug it looks like it’s silicone
Yup or something soft. I cut an X in it ran a wire harness through and gooped it up with rtv. That is likely the best location to run an antenna connector through. Get creative :)

I connected my power wire behind my cigarette lighter/12v in the dash. No worries about running wires through to the engine bay.

I connected my power wire behind my cigarette lighter/12v in the dash. No worries about running wires through to the engine bay.

Using the lighter 12v source is probably okay for something like a CB, and it sure simplifies things. I have all my accessories going through a spod knock-off. I even think there is an adapter you can get to get power from that location...

Yep. A little pricey in my opinion, but it makes it clean...

Reactions: TargetOz and mrjp
I did the same thing as JerryD did for my GMSR for power. My antenna is mounted to a rack at the rear with the coax ran through the tailgate, up the side and to the radio. Worked out great, no holes to drill for either.