Camshaft Position Sensor Codes

gclement

Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. My JK 2013 is throwing cam shaft sensor codes, typically P0344, P0340, P365, P345 and P390 both as intermittent and permanent. The odd thing is that if the vehicle is left to cool down the codes clear and the Jeep can be started and it runs okay without any issues, until it reaches operating temperature and the codes pop up again, limiting the revs to about 3000. Have tried changing the sensors which made no difference, currently changing the connector's and chasing the wires back to the PCU. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the case of action taken to correct. Thanking you in advance.

I have the same problem with a 2012. I have changed the sensors cam and crank along with new connectors to the sensors. It is still throwing these codes P0390, P0345, P2638, C122C.

I have the same problem with a 2012. I have changed the sensors cam and crank along with new connectors to the sensors. It is still throwing these codes P0390, P0345, P2638, C122C.
Did you reset the codes after you installed the new parts?

Reactions: BigAL07
I did the same thing with no luck.

Did you try doing the battery reset?

Hey all... I have a 2014 JKU with a little over 80k on it. I'm having the same issues. It started out with when the Jeep was warmed up and after driving for abt 10-15 mins, then when I reached abt 4k rpm, like I was passing someone on the hwy or on a hard accel from a stop sign or red light, the jeep would stumble and fall on its face like the rev limiter was activated or something. The engine would be revving and not going anywhere. No codes were stored or thrown. This happened all the time. Was not intermittent. So, I read on these forums that it could be a possibility that the crank sensor was bad. Replaced it...still doing it. Took it to my local shop which is a trans shop also and asked if it was a torque conv issue. He said no and to try taking it to a Jeep dealer and have the TCM and PCM reflashed bc he's seen a reflashbfix alot of problems in vehicles with trans issues. Got it flashed($170) and it didn't fix the issue. It did however make the shift points better. Then I saw something about resetting the PCM by disconnecting the battery terminals and touching them together for about 30-45 mins. That didn't do anything except waste 45 mins and cause a whole new set of issues. So.... now I get codes P0390, P0345, P0365, P0339, P0300, P2638, and C121C. The jeep reaches 3k rpm and it stumbles and falls flat and the CEL comes on and it goes into limp mode. So now I'm seeing a bunch of jeep owners on this and other forum saying that the cam phaser and actuator are the issues. These sensors control the actuation of the VVT system. Also, there are oil galley bolts which back themselves out and in some cases the bolts have completely fallen out and down into the oil pan. They are located behind/below the cam shaft actuator gears. They should be torqued to 9ft lbs. Some ppl have had the cam shafts replaced due to wear on the lobes. There was another group forum where a few owners have had the heads replaced. Apparently FCA is well aware of this problem. There is a STAR case opened from FCA.(Case #S1618000050). I am at the point where I am not willing to spend money on this. I shouldn't have these problems that the manufacturer is aware of but does absolutely nothing to fix the issue. It seems the dealers are clueless about how to fix this issue. And it not just in the US. There are ppl from Australia,Canada and Europe that are experiencing the same types of issues on the Wrangler built in 2012-15. That was 7 years ago. This morning, I inspected the camshaft position sensor connector. I noticed that the red clip on the p/s was not locked in. I wiggled the wires around to induce the code.... nothing. I checked the other side. Same thing. Red clip was not locked in either. Locked it in and did the wiggle test trying to induce a code. Nothing. So, I test drive it. I beat the snot out of it and no codes. Weird right. I had it up to over 4500 rpm and no stumbles, no hesitation and no CEL came on. I am going to get these wiring harnesses from Mopar. Part # 68148103AA. https://www.moparpartsunlimited.com/oem-parts/mopar-wiring-68148103aa

This is where I'm going to start and end this debacle. If this doesn't fix it, I'm getting rid of it. I used to work for Chrysler a long time ago and they had so many electrical issues back then and I see that it hasn't changed much. Is there anyone out there that has had the wiring harnesses replaced and has had no more issues??

No I have not. Already ordered the wiring harnesses. I will check and add another if needed when I install the new harness kit. Thanks!!

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. My JK 2013 is throwing cam shaft sensor codes, typically P0344, P0340, P365, P345 and P390 both as intermittent and permanent. The odd thing is that if the vehicle is left to cool down the codes clear and the Jeep can be started and it runs okay without any issues, until it reaches operating temperature and the codes pop up again, limiting the revs to about 3000. Have tried changing the sensors which made no difference, currently changing the connector's and chasing the wires back to the PCU. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the case of action taken to correct. Thanking you in advance.
The failure as the engine comes up to operating temperature sounds like an increased electrical resistance. So, perhaps check the wiring for faults in the insulation before doing anything more heroic. Since your codes all focus on the sensor circuit, you can't just focus on the sensor. The problem could be the PCM, wiring, or sensor.

Ended up changing the camshaft connector and cabling - fixed the problem. Grabbed the parts from RockAuto
Is the problem still fixed? Did the codes ever come back?? I am having the same codes and it's driving me crazy bc all these threads in these forums are giving so many different "fixes" . I personally think it's the connectors and wiring. But I could be wrong.
Ended up changing the camshaft connector and cabling - fixed the problem. Grabbed the parts from RockAuto