Barricade Winches

RD1

Supporting Member
anybody wanting to buy a winch for any vehicle should stay away from Barricade winches. They do not make any replacement parts so if you winch stops working for any reason you just have to throw it away. I used mine once it 5 years and when I went to use it again last week it will not work, Called Barricade and they said they do not make or sell replacement parts for their winches what a piece of crap. I will never buy anything from Barricade again

Reactions: Jackmove
While I do think it's unfortunate that they don't provide replacement parts, I also think you need to kick yourself in the butt. A winch needs to be used every month or so. All you need to do is run the cable (or rope) out and rewind it under tension. If you're not doing this, then you're at least as big a problem as Barricade.

Reactions: mrjp
While I do think it's unfortunate that they don't provide replacement parts, I also think you need to kick yourself in the butt. A winch needs to be used every month or so. All you need to do is run the cable (or rope) out and rewind it under tension. If you're not doing this, then you're at least as big a problem as Barricade.
That is crap Dirty Dog. regardless of how much I use it or not, it should work when needed. Also I never heard of a company not having, making or selling replacement parts for the equipment they make. Then there is the fact that they try to hide the fact that Barricade is actually made by Extreme Terrane. Why is it that? When I called Extreme to see if they sold replacement parts they said they didn't but then gave me information to get ahold of Barricade. So when you call barricade it's the same number as Extreme's. Why are they hiding the fact that it is the same company? Sounds kind f shady to me

I was looking to replace the control box since there is no power to wind it in. There is power from the battery

I was looking to replace the control box since there is no power to wind it in

If it wasn't used for 5 years and it was out in the weather the whole time it could just need the cables cleaned.

You know the real issue is not that it quit working, that happens, but the real problem is that Barricade doesn't make and sell repair parts. I mean this is not a 15 dollar drill you use and throw away when it stops working. This is an expensive piece if equipment plus a pain to remove and install. I could understand if it was 20 years old or something but it is not, its less than 5 years old.

That is crap Dirty Dog. regardless of how much I use it or not, it should work when needed. Also I never heard of a company not having, making or selling replacement parts for the equipment they make. Then there is the fact that they try to hide the fact that Barricade is actually made by Extreme Terrane. Why is it that? When I called Extreme to see if they sold replacement parts they said they didn't but then gave me information to get ahold of Barricade. So when you call barricade it's the same number as Extreme's. Why are they hiding the fact that it is the same company? Sounds kind f shady to me
No, it's not. If you ignore routine maintenance, you have no reason to expect the thing to keep working. Would you piss and moan if your engine blew after 70,000 miles without changing, or even checking, the oil? Would you be winging about your tires blowing out after 100,000 miles without even a pressure check? How many dives would I survive if I didn't bother to check the O rings on tank valves, or clean the muck out of the diaphragms of my regulators?

Regular maintenance is not optional. Not if you want a mechanism to continue to function properly.

They should certainly sell replacement parts. That's on them.

You should be doing the required maintenance. That's on you.

No, it's not. If you ignore routine maintenance, you have no reason to expect the thing to keep working. Would you piss and moan if your engine blew after 70,000 miles without changing, or even checking, the oil? Would you be winging about your tires blowing out after 100,000 miles without even a pressure check? How many dives would I survive if I didn't bother to check the O rings on tank valves, or clean the muck out of the diaphragms of my regulators?

Regular maintenance is not optional. Not if you want a mechanism to continue to function properly.

They should certainly sell replacement parts. That's on them.

You should be doing the required maintenance. That's on you.
You know dirty dog you must really like to spout off your opinion and think people really want to read them, especially when they have nothing to do with the post. First off my post has nothing nor says anything about the quality of the winch, it does state the conditions under which it failed but if you really bothered to read it it is purely to let people know that Barricade winches are throw-away winches. Regardless of why it stopped working, operator error, maintenance issues or mechanical breakdown, the winch cannot be fixed because the company does not make nor sell repair parts for it. Even you are surly smart enough to know that all mechanical devices will eventually break down , regardless of the reason. Had I known that Barricade did not sell repair parts I would never have bought it and I think everybody needs to understand that it is a throw-away winch, before the pay good money for it.
I do want to thank you for one thing, because of your obviously unrelated and unwarranted post I did get the manual out and looked thru it and guess what I found, It clearly states in there that parts are available, I think that constitutes deception on their part and I will contact a product attorney to see what can be done about that.