Back-up camera screen turns blank when putting it into reverse

Oscar-Mike

JK Enthusiast
My Jeep: 2013 Oscar-Mike Freedom Edition 2 Door

When I put the gear into reverse, the screen turns blank. So i guess there is no backup camera connected to it from the factory.

Question: What brand of camera to buy and how to install it.

I appreciate anyone's help.

Last edited:
Correct.

Here's a way to do it with the factory head unit:

In terms of aftermarket head units, most of them will have a connection for reverse cameras and will work with just about any reverse camera you can find on Amazon, eBay, etc.

Thanks Chris.
I just read this darn write-up - I think I am not that smart.
Need a plan B :(
I came across this searching for a fix to my back up camera.....I may be a little late to respond but I took apart my dash and checked my wires al the way to the camera that is in my spare tire on the back of the Jeep. It was really simple to do. I watched a YouTube video that showed step by step that helped a lot.

Reactions: Chris
If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you could always go to your local stereo installation store and they can set you up with a backup camera. My step-dad had this done on his older Toyota truck that didn't come with a backup camera.

Hello!
I'm stuck on a back up camera install! Any help would be appreciated! The camera is installed and I tapped into rear reverse light wires white/grey+ and black ground to cameras rear and black wires but I'm stick at the head unit. I ported into back of attack touchscreen 430 radio with a yellow rca female jack BUT! The male side of the rca yellow jack that goes to back of jeep has A LITTLE RED WIRE THATS NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED TO REVERSE WIRE SENSOR.....THATS MY ISSUE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SPLICE TO IN THE HEAD UNIT. I even tried running extra wire to passenger side wire bundle to that grey/white but no go....PLEASE HELP LOL

20210111_133510.jpg

20210111_133526.jpg

* Sorry some spelling mistakes I meant cameras rear red and black wires to grey/white and black ground and ported to back of stock touchscreen.....

The red is power. How did you connect the red & black from the camera? If the red wire FROM THE CAMERA is connected to the reverse wire, the red wire at the head unit should be dead. Confirm with a volt meter or 12v probe.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying Jerry!
The red and black of the camera i connected to back reverse light in the back of the jeep. Red to white/grey and black to black ground. The red that comes of of the rca yellow jack is dead right now the instructions say to hook it up to 12v reverse sensor wire at head unit or somewhere so that when I put jeep in reverse the video will show on the screen. I just don't know what color wire is the reverse power to splice onto on my 2015 jk rubicon...

I actually tried running a separate wire to passenger side wire bundle and picked out the white/grey there and spliced to that and my red wire at rca jack by the head unit and still nothing....

Okay, in looking at the back of the HU, the white plug with the two wires are your video signal and shield. The red wire at that end should NOT be hooked up if you have the power from the camera going to the white/grey. The instructions say to hook it up only because they are generic instructions. You are powering it from the rev circuit. Tape off that bare red wire at the head unit and be sure to disconnect it at the other end. The power is coming from the white/grey wire.

You can verify the camera is working and positioned correctly by plugging the camera video in to something that takes video in.

However, you won't have a picture on your headunit until you enable the camera with something like the jScan app and an OBD dongle OR have the dealer enable it (for $100 or so). You didn't mention you had enabled it, so I thought I'd mention it.

HTH,
Jerry

Reactions: mrjp
Thank YOU JERRY!
You Hit the nail on the head Bro! I did exactly what u said. I didnt need to attach the red wire at head unit just port the rca jack that went all the way to the truck where I just spliced red to the grey/white and black to black wire ground of reverse light. The amazon Fexon camera came with a connection to back of radio with the female rca port so I attached all that and then did what you wrote and it worked PERFECTLY!
I downloaded JSCAN! Bought a 50 dollar VFlicker OBD on Amazon Prime. i bought the 23 dollar license once I ported the VFlicker in and Bluetooth to my phone JSCAN app and went to Adaptations found Backup Camera and Activated. I turned the key from run position to off waited 5min to let the computer reset and turned engine on and BOOM BACK UP CAMERA WORKS!
So Glad I got a Camera and Now a Vlficker to change and check codes etc all for under 100 bucks!
Thanks Again Jerry You Are The Man!

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD