Back up camera options

Laser123456

Question:
2018 JK Rubicon w Factory radio and touch screen.

Does anyone have a suggestion for adding apple car play and a back up camera?

The Jeep has black rhino aresenal wheels and Poison Spider tire carrier. This complicates mounting because I would rather not have the alpine disc w brake light that I have seen advertised.

1. Ideally I could add back up to existing factory unit and find a inconspicuous place to mount camera. This means no Apple Car Play. Not ideal.

2. Brand or suggestions for new head unit , something that looks factory w a back up camera and Apple Car Play. Is Aloine best option?

3. I saw a few pics on the forum just not sure if these were factory back up cameras. Also not sure wether these are JL.

4. The Jeep is 100% in need of a back up camera for safety at very least.

5. What do JK owners w lift, bigger tires and tricked out Rigs do for this dilemma?

thanks and open to any suggestions!

The Alpine camera can come without the brake light. Though I have the X409 Alpine which has the Alpine Backup camera the camera should work with your system. I would contact Alpine directly for support to see what will work with that rig.

Thanks-
Do you think X409 is wort the money, pretty spendy.
Did you pair it with a different camera or did it come with one?
any opinion is appreciated

Question:
2018 JK Rubicon w Factory radio and touch screen.

Does anyone have a suggestion for adding apple car play and a back up camera?

The Jeep has black rhino aresenal wheels and Poison Spider tire carrier. This complicates mounting because I would rather not have the alpine disc w brake light that I have seen advertised.

1. Ideally I could add back up to existing factory unit and find a inconspicuous place to mount camera. This means no Apple Car Play. Not ideal.

2. Brand or suggestions for new head unit , something that looks factory w a back up camera and Apple Car Play. Is Aloine best option?

3. I saw a few pics on the forum just not sure if these were factory back up cameras. Also not sure wether these are JL.

4. The Jeep is 100% in need of a back up camera for safety at very least.

5. What do JK owners w lift, bigger tires and tricked out Rigs do for this dilemma?

thanks and open to any suggestions!
Check out Master Tailgaters.

1. Yep, don't bother keeping the stock head unit, it's a real piece of crap IMHO.

2. Alpine isn't any good IMHO. I would highly suggest a Kenwood head unit. This is the one I use and it has wireless CarPlay and the option to add a backup camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RF971JK/?tag=jkforum-20

3. JKs never came with factory backup cameras, but JLs do, so that must be what you're seeing.

4. I agree!

Love the Alpine X409 plenty of fun off-road POI's and has a built-in inclination system too. I have the Alpine subwoofer which gives the Bass some serious push. With any radio head with a nave unit, you will have to update yearly. My Alpine has been easy to update.

I went with the 12" mirror dash cam. I like that you can see behind you while you drive even with a spare tire blocking your view. I got mine off amazon for about $150

I have a similar question. We recently bought a 2018 Wrangler Sahara JK.

My wife would very much like a backup camera. I called the local shop, for camera and installation to the existing OEM radio, they quoted me $650.00. I watched a YouTube video and the labor to take the dash and console apart & route the wiring was quite labor intensive.

We both have iPhones. I'd like a radio that could possible tie into our phones.

If I am going to spend that kind of money, maybe I should look at getting a new radio as well ? I saw the above comment that the stock radio isn't that great on the JK models.

I looked at the radio that Chris recommended, it is not in stock... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RF971JK/?tag=jkforum-20 .

Any suggestions on a good radio, backup camera and.. is $650.00 to install by a radio shop a reasonable quote/estimate ? Does a wireless camera give as good of video quality ?

Thank-you,
Tom
mid-Michigan

i bought a cheap backup camera from AZ and a sparewheel mount, ran the wires in less than 30mins and used JSCAN app to activate it on my oem head unit. for less than $100 i have rear camera oem.
I'm planning to upgrade the head unit at one point, but if you only need a backup camera, you can only do that

Reactions: mrjp and Tom_H
$100 bucks and 30 minutes sounds fantastic. What a Great Tip! Thank-you very much. (y)

I looked up the camera you referenced on AZ.

Can you tell me, what all did you have to do on the radio side to hook it up ? Did you have to remove the dash and radio ? I would expect to have to do this... but the video I watched on YouTube made it look like a pretty big project to get the radio out.

i dug into my photos so here it is. basically everything that covers any parts of the jeep is just using plastic clips to be in place, that you can remove easily with a flat head screwdriver and a bit of patience, then you uncover i think 8-10 bolts and put it back together

removing panels

ELc_cbmlaJ7Uop4DyrmlYlng=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

pYSswpKRgPPePlzJARDKcTVQ=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

removing the radio from its mounts:
gdvWUDeQjIK56p6CMs5jBAvw=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

xvzrTDGnnhL8PeSwPWs_VqcA=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

installing the camera mount

0xR0QCbyur1yS-YOz22DxL00=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

then you need to remove the backpanel of the tailgate and run your wire under the carpet (easily pop off) and couple of plastic panels, up to the glovebox up behind the radio and :

8U9cYAgNqtWyUUUDDQPnGv2g=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

then put it back together

aplW1fT0-SgCZVdNqYJopgZw=w2560-h1214-no?authuser=0.jpg

as i said it's extremely straight forward an not much room to break things.

then install JSCAN app and pay for the license ($20 per VIN) and activate the option so the OEM radio recognizes the camera as oem rear.

hope this helps!

Reactions: mrjp
TheRealCrazy - very kind of you to share the pictures/directions and JSCAN details.

You make it look easy - gives me hope I can DIY and save ~$500 :)

TheRealCrazy - very kind of you to share the pictures/directions and JSCAN details.

You make it look easy - gives me hope I can DIY and save ~$500 :)

You're more than welcome... Wranglers are pretty easy to work on, and honestly i think i would rate this mod a 2/10... 1/10 being plugging a USB charger into your 12v :p

just take your time, it's literally just popping plastic panels off and routing one cable.

plus even if in the future your want to upgrade the HU, the camera will still be used. so it's not time lost.

keep us updated!

My wife is going out of town this weekend, so I think I will "practice" on taking the dash panels off. I know it sounds a little silly or a waste of time... but, I have discovered that if I do a "practice" run - it seems to take the pressure / stress / anxiety off of me and I am less likely to break something...or, if I do break something I guess I would be less stressed about it.

My wife is going out of town this weekend, so I think I will "practice" on taking the dash panels off. I know it sounds a little silly or a waste of time... but, I have discovered that if I do a "practice" run - it seems to take the pressure / stress / anxiety off of me and I am less likely to break something...or, if I do break something I guess I would be less stressed about it.

Nice!

you could also get this kit for $10 , simple tools to remove those plastic pins, and some spare pins if you decide to destroy one or two.... also check out this video might help.

theRealCrazy - my kit arrived today. The funny thing is, the same kit is advertised on FaceBook for ~ $40.00... glad I saw your post and didn't purchase it of FB. :)

I put a Sony XAV-AX1000 head unit in my wife's Jeep and a rear camera mounted to the towing hitch. Works great and was reasonably priced.

IMG_4146.jpg

1. Yep, don't bother keeping the stock head unit, it's a real piece of crap IMHO.

2. Alpine isn't any good IMHO. I would highly suggest a Kenwood head unit. This is the one I use and it has wireless CarPlay and the option to add a backup camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RF971JK/?tag=jkforum-20

3. JKs never came with factory backup cameras, but JLs do, so that must be what you're seeing.

4. I agree!
I have this radio, love it... I will be adding a camera this winter.

I have this radio, love it... I will be adding a camera this winter.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. You can't go wrong with Kenwood Excelon products for the most part. They are a far better head unit than any of the Alpine stuff I see people spending copious amounts of money for.