ASD Fuse Repeatedly Shorts

Tootallracing

Hello All

I am the original owner of a 2009 Jeep JK with 172K miles. On two recent occasions the 25 amp M19 fuse has shorted leaving the vehicle stranded. The only alteration I have made to the wiring is the addition of a plug in trailer wiring harness.

The first incident was on 3/27/20 as it was being driven on surface streets at low speeds, stop to stop light style of driving. It was towed to a dealer. It was determined the M19 ASD shorted. The technician replaced the fuse and the Jeep restarted. My understanding is that while investigating the issue the 10 amp M28 fuse also shorted.

No issue could be located, the technician just cleaned up some connections, replaced the fuses and released the Jeep.

On 5/7/2020 the ASD fuse shorted again while being driven on an interstate once again stranding the Jeep. This time I replaced the fuse and drove it back to the dealer. Only the ASD fuse shorted this time. The dealer now wants to start replacing wiring harness at great expense.

I looking for ideas on where to start on repairing this myself. The M28 fuse protects the Next Generation Controller (NGC) / Transmission Feed (Batt). The M19 fuse is the Auto Shutdown ASD 1 & 2.

Is there a wiring diagram available for this Jeep?
What is the NGC and Transmission Feed module I assume? Can I replace one or both of these items to see if the problem is resolved?
What is the ASD 1 & 2 circuit?
What are the odds the issue could be in the wiring harnesses? I have never had any issue with any wiring harness in any car that I have owned. It seems unlikely. The Jeep is driven on road only and parked in a garage at night.

Thank You
Mike

I would start out removing the trailer wiring if it's not being used and see what happens. When this happened both times was the trailer connection being used with a trailer?

I will remove the trailer wiring harness just in case that's the issue. I've never even plugged into the harness once since I installed it. I'm not sure why I even bought it. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: BLACKJKU