ARB twin compressor underseat install

JeepLuvr1954

The last couple nights after work I've started my ARB compressor install under the passenger seat with a teraflex mounting bracket.

I wanted to mount it under the driver side but it would require lengthening the ARB provided wiring harness so I decided against that.

So far the installation has gone pretty well although I did have to modify the battery box just a little at the firewall in order to clear the wiring coming through the factory wiring harness boot.
IMG_20200713_173536094.jpg
IMG_20200713_180928661.jpg

Reactions: Chris
A few pics of the harness routing. I had to remove the sealed connector on the compressor end and tape the wires together in order to get them through the firewall harness boot.
IMG_20200713_185853731.jpg
IMG_20200714_160939724.jpg
IMG_20200714_165636994.jpg
IMG_20200714_171849353.jpg
IMG_20200714_172812476.jpg

Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
Great job so far! Most people mount these under the hood, but I personally think I'd rather mount it under the seat like you're doing. It's clean, out of sight, and will definitely make that compressor last longer I would think.

Post some photos once it's all done (y)

Great job so far! Most people mount these under the hood, but I personally think I'd rather mount it under the seat like you're doing. It's clean, out of sight, and will definitely make that compressor last longer I would think.

Post some photos once it's all done (y)
Thanks and will do!

I have the seat reinstalled but I'm waiting on a couple of fittings and a hose that will allow me to mount a quick disconnect on the seat frame.

I also have some quality battery terminal connectors on the way.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
Round 2 on the compressor install: plumbing!!!

Here's the supplies I've been waiting for and the bracket I made for the QD. The hose is a 21" Viair primary hose with check valve (for future tank install). I got a 1/4" NPT through frame bulkhead fitting to attach the QD for rigidity.
IMG_20200721_185702560.jpg

I am a big proponent of Teflon tape for pipe thread connections. I'm an old school hydraulic guy so I like it's possibility for instant sealing (unlike paste). Just make sure you don't let any of the tape hang past the end of the threads.
IMG_20200721_182835108.jpg

A quick pic of the plumbing before reattaching the seat.
IMG_20200722_165307749.jpg

And the finished product. There's a couple of holes in the side of the seat riser that were perfect to run a tap through for 1/4-20 bolts. I threaded them, ran the bolts through, and put jamb nuts on the backside for extra support. Super easy access!!!
IMG_20200722_170657761.jpg

Next time I'll be finishing up the wiring.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
Very nice and neat install, I really like it! I think this is a far better location than under the hood, and it should increase the life of the compressor not being exposed to all the underhood heat.

Reactions: JeepLuvr1954
Yes that's exactly my reason for doing the install in this fashion. I did not want to have it in the way under the hood for future servicing requirements and like you said it's out of the elements.

I took these pics a while back so I figured I better post them up.

First a quick pic of the wiring at the battery.
IMG_20200913_084604674.jpg

And another quick pic of the switch location.
1597883116633_6203240874_7e2876df_v1.jpg

This compressor performs great! It will air up the tires on my Jeep as fast as my twin via air compressors with 5 gallons capacity on my pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
Question, was this on a JKU? I have a new to me JK 2 door with sliding seats - would this work?

Question, was this on a JKU? I have a new to me JK 2 door with sliding seats - would this work?
This thread is from 2020. OP last signed Nov of 2020. So he be in the wind .
Judging from his Avatar it' was installed on a 4 door JKU.
I would think , yes, could be installed under the seat of a 2 door JK.
My only concern would be how loud is for passengers it if your airing up.
It's on my to do list but was thinking under hood would be better and less
intrusive if you have passengers or pets. Those compressors can be loud .
Maybe someone will chime who did this install and can comment on the
loudness factor.

I purchased my setup through the site I linked below. They make kits for 2 door and 4 door. As Speartip mentioned, the compressors can be and are noisy. However, I don't think it's horrible. My wife and daughter never complain while airing up. I have no regrets mounting it under the passenger seat. It cant hurt the compressor longevity either. Much cleaner inside the cab than in the engine bay.

https://innovativeatproducts.com/2007-2018-jk-wrangler-2-door/

Reactions: mrjp and Speartip
I purchased my setup through the site I linked below. They make kits for 2 door and 4 door. As Speartip mentioned, the compressors can be and are noisy. However, I don't think it's horrible. My wife and daughter never complain while airing up. I have no regrets mounting it under the passenger seat. It cant hurt the compressor longevity either. Much cleaner inside the cab than in the engine bay.

https://innovativeatproducts.com/2007-2018-jk-wrangler-2-door/

Thanks for the intel . So maybe seat helps muffle the noise a bit . Good to know . I have read where users tried under the hood . Some say heat from engine not a prob , others stated killed the compressor . So a bit of a toss up .

Reactions: mrjp and Qaddiction