Another LED Electrical Thread - Sorry

dmcdonald1983

Hi Everyone,

Apologies up front for another thread on LED lighting issues. If you can stomach the read, any advice would be greatly appreciated on the puzzle I am facing.

The ride is a 2016 JK RHD - 4DR. I recently upgraded the front headlights, front turn signals, and rear taillights to LEDs. Surprisingly, I had no issues and all lights worked well. Next I replace the front fenders, the new front fenders are Barricades with a small row of LEDs that take the place of the marker light on a factory front fender. So I start with the front right fender, get everything bolted up and the wiring connected to the new LEDs... Thankfully the new fender light caused no issue with the headlights, fog lights, turn signals, or taillights.

Now I move onto the front left fender and repeat the same process, get everything bolted on and hooked up as I did on the other fender, and now here comes the problem:

1) The new fender LED light (side marker substitute) does not light, when turning on the low beams.
2) The front left turn signal now does not illuminate.
3) The back left tail light does not illuminate with the low beam turned on.

*I tried some basic trouble shooting: verifying solid connections, ensuring the right and left side were setup exactly the same, checking fuses, etc.

Strangely... The front right headlight, turn signal, fog light, and taillight all still work as advertised.

I've read as many threads as I can find about potentially changing the two wire setup on the marker light into a three wire setup and adding a resistor. If anyone can spare a moment and offer some advice, I would truly appreciate it. I've seen drawings for the three wire conversion, have questions about where to connect the new ground, etc. Or if there is something blatantly obvious, that is more appropriate in this situation that I am missing any ideas would be really appreciated.

Respectfully,

Dave

Did you verify that you still have power to the left side? Also just to try something else did you try running jumper wires from a battery pos and neg to the light wires to see if they light up?

Reactions: mrjp
to me that sounds like the light itself may be wired wrong and a ground is in the wrong place. LEDs are much more picky than a normal bulb and polarity matters.

Turn on the lights and however you can check the voltages on both sides to each wire. Try and use part of the body or frame for you ground reference. I'm going to guess, provided I understand the problem, that there is a polarity issue somewhere.

Reactions: mrjp