Another Jeep

rdmitch

just added another to the family. found my wife a 2017 Smokey Mountain Edition 2 door. excellent riding vehicle. in all honesty i have to say it steers far better than my 2020 JL
looking forward to sharing on this forum

Steers far better than your JL? I wonder why that is.

Do you think it has something to do with the electronic steering on the JLs?

Either way, one can never have too many Jeeps, right? ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

it’s 100% due to the electronic steering on the JLs, and it’s not every Jeep that has issues...some are worse than others. That’s the main reason i went to a JK for her. There was no possible way she could deal with a JL in the event that it had problematic steering.

Reactions: Chris
it’s 100% due to the electronic steering on the JLs, and it’s not every Jeep that has issues...some are worse than others. That’s the main reason i went to a JK for her. There was no possible way she could deal with a JL in the event that it had problematic steering.

Yes, I've been hearing this a lot about JLs, even the current models. I would have thought since they've been out by 2018 that this would have been solved by now, but it appears it's not.

Some people are having steering issues while others aren't. Makes me think it probably wasn't a very good idea for them to have gone to electric steering.

I had electric steering on my Hellcat and Camaro and it did just fine, but apparently Jeep didn't do such a great job.

Not everyone has issues with the steering, its a small percentage that encounter either
loose steering, wandering on the road or the infamous death wobble. There are 100 answers and trials that people have done and yet no definitive solution. Other than the lack of concern on the dealers part, they have tried their best to solve the problem but can only do only what FCA advises/authorizes. Just read the NHTSA reports on the 2018-2020 Wranglers the amount of complains is in the thousands.

Wow, that's alarming to have all those complaints, especially when the dealers aren't fixing it.

I wonder if there's a common trait among the ones with issues. For instance, are the ones that are experiencing it all stock, or are they modified with bigger tires, lifts, etc.?

Why Jeep went to electric steering is beyond me truthfully. It's just one more thing to break and go wrong.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
no common denominator, big problem for those with mods is that fca can walk away from the entire issue under the pretense that the owner created the problem with the lift, suspension changes, tire, whatever. Those poor owners are 100% screwed.
i had a 2018 Sahara (JL), I won’t go into the service issues I went thru but i was lucky to hire a smart attorney and received every cent back. still a jeep fan, i was not ready to give it up and used their money to buy a 2020 Rubicon. I test drove it long and carefully before taking it. while still not perfect, it’s a lot better.

The JKs with the older steering really drive much better than many JLs. Thats why I bought the JK for the wife.

So....while the older JKs may not have the amazing features and convenience items of the new series, rest comfortably in your choice that your JKs are still a great and safe decision.

Sorry for the long rant

Wow, that's alarming to have all those complaints, especially when the dealers aren't fixing it.

I wonder if there's a common trait among the ones with issues. For instance, are the ones that are experiencing it all stock, or are they modified with bigger tires, lifts, etc.?

Why Jeep went to electric steering is beyond me truthfully. It's just one more thing to break and go wrong.

What ever happened to the old saying if it works good just leave it alone.

What ever happened to the old saying if it works good just leave it alone.

Yep, you'd think they would have figured that out.

Blows my mind they'll stick with solid axles but for some reason feel so inclined as to go to electric steering :rolleyes: