Aftermarket backup cameras

Ostfish

Supporting Member
I was looking at the Quadratec rear camera backup system. Has anyone used this system before and if so, what is your opinion of it. Or does anyone know of a good quality rear backup camera to tye into my existing stereo system?

I looked at the Quadratec camera and ended up with this instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3740160946...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

It fits perfectly, has a solid mounting bracket, a good wiring harness that allows power for the camera to be tied in at either end, and it works perfectly, all for under $60.
Quadratec wants $60 for the mount alone, or $150+ for a camera that comes with one.
It's my opinion that you can get an equal or better product for way less $$ elsewhere.

BTW, I tied that eBay camera into my factory head unit and updated the configuration to make it work with Jscan & the iCar Pro OBDII scanner.
That gave me a backup camera for less than $80 (including the iCar license of $20); which is about half the price for just a camera at Quadratec.

Reactions: Duster and mrjp
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler JK Forum may be compensated.
I was looking at the Quadratec rear camera backup system. Has anyone used this system before and if so, what is your opinion of it. Or does anyone know of a good quality rear backup camera to tye into my existing stereo system?
I have had the Volway 10" 2.5K dash cam mirror with backup camera (https://amzn.to/3uG3vkd) since December. It works great.

Reactions: mrjp
My back up camera is mounted in my bumper and my rearview Mirror camera is up high above the spare tire.

IMG_3766.jpeg

I looked at the Quadratec camera and ended up with this instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3740160946...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

It fits perfectly, has a solid mounting bracket, a good wiring harness that allows power for the camera to be tied in at either end, and it works perfectly, all for under $60.
Quadratec wants $60 for the mount alone, or $150+ for a camera that comes with one.
It's my opinion that you can get an equal or better product for way less $$ elsewhere.

BTW, I tied that eBay camera into my factory head unit and updated the configuration to make it work with Jscan & the iCar Pro OBDII scanner.
That gave me a backup camera for less than $80 (including the iCar license of $20); which is about half the price for just a camera at Quadratec.

Hi,

So is there a specific menu in the j scan that addresses reprogramming the stereo head unit for a backup camera, and does it matter if you have OE navigation? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler JK Forum may be compensated.
I honestly do not recall where the setting is in JScan, but it was very clearly identified as “video input enable” or something equally clear in the description.
I had a factory navigation unit and it worked flawlessly once configured.

I have since upgraded to a 10” Android unit.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I'm trying to get my backup camera going but running into a problem.

I used Jscan to activate the rear camera function in the head unit (430N RHB). I now get the check surroundings message when in reverse and have the camera settings available in the menu.

I tried the camera using a 12V battery and an old RCA-fed headrest monitor I had laying around. That works as expected.

When I plug the camera into the RCA/22 pin adapter in the back of the head unit I do not get any feed. Just the same black screen with check your surroundings.

For completeness I tried another video feed which also shows up on the external monitor but not the head unit.

It seems like one of two things:
1) Wrong pin positions in the 22pin adapter
2) A break in the wire, bad pin, etc in the 22pin adapter

The camera kit I purchased included the adapter but I just ordered another from Amazon to test #2. That should arrive today and I'll try it...

It seems the pin locations are consistent with other installs I found on YT. Bottom row, 2nd and 3rd pins from the end. I think they are technically pin positions 3 and 4.

Is there something I'm missing??

IIRC, JSCAN has a couple of settings that need to be altered to enable the video feed.
Thx. I'll take a look at some other places within the software. Under Adaptation, Radio & Camera it had a pick to make the rear camera "Active" but I didn't look any farther than that...

Thx. I'll take a look at some other places within the software. Under Adaptation, Radio & Camera it had a pick to make the rear camera "Active" but I didn't look any farther than that...
JScan is great, but there are certainly some things that are buried in weird places.

Received the alternative RCA - 22 pin today from Amazon. Plugged it in and all is operational! So root cause is a defective adapter. The only issue is this one is a lot shorter. Crutchfield is sending me a replacement so I'll wait for that one to show up now that I confirmed the issue and solution.

Screenshot_20231108-163548~2.png

I have the echomaster camera that I have hooked up to my Stinger Heigh10 radio. I placed the camera under my tow hitch.

I also have a Wolfbox rearview smartmirror and mounted that camera on top of my 3rd brakelight. Everything works perfectly. I depend mostly on the echomaster cam for backing up because it has IR vision when its dark and plus its just closer to the ground. I will try and add pics later

it has IR vision when its dark
I also went with a camera that has IR. I am interested to try it out in different lighting. The picture I attached above is a bit washed out and I think that is due to the vehicle being in a darker garage. We'll see how it all works out...

I also went with a camera that has IR. I am interested to try it out in different lighting. The picture I attached above is a bit washed out and I think that is due to the vehicle being in a darker garage. We'll see how it all works out...
I will try n take a pic during night but for now heres the day

20231109_102225.jpg

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Finished up the install... Seems to work as I expected. Just tested the IR feature since it is pretty dark already with the time change. It was pulled into the garage vs. the daylight test where I was just outside of the garage:

PXL_20231109_213819709~2.jpg

PXL_20231109_230302833~2.jpg