AEV 2.5” DualSport Review.

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
(note maybe this should be posted somewhere else.)
There seems to be a lot of questions about lifts so thought I’d do this write up of my experience with the AEV 2.5” Dualsport Lift. We have the lift on two different 2015 JK’s with similar setups. This write up is specifically for a 2015 Rubicon HardRock, equipped with 1/4” HardRock engine and transfer case skid plates, 12,000 XRC Smitybilt Winch, rear rack, and mics lights, 32” BF Goodrich M/T tires, GMSR radio etc.

The install was done in my garage by myself, with 3-ton jacks stands and a floor jack. For my wife’s installed purchased a pair of 6 ton jack stands which is recommended.

Installation - overall the installation was smooth and completed in one day. A few items that were an issue for me.

• Rear Axle, I installed the springs and track bar tower bracket in reverse order. I am not sure how one could install the tower bar bracket then manage to get the springs in. Might be doable with other equipment.
  • Bump stop spacers, it is very tight to get the nuts installed between the axle and the bracket on the axle. I had to grind down the nuts at about a 30 degree angle so they would fit in the space. I contacted AEV about it and they said “never heard of that, maybe your bracket is bent or something”. I could maybe buy this, but the issue happened on two different 2015 JK’s and I doubt that the axle brackets are bent / messed up on each JK.
  • Rear brake line relocation bracket, driver side worked just fine. Passenger side did not go as smooth. Due to track bar mounting bracket welded to the frame on the passenger side the metal brake line hits the bracket. The brake line has to be bent slightly to clear it. Then I placed a rubber hose around the brake line and secured the line with a metal bracket that has rubber on it to prevent the line moving vibrating against the frame. (This occurred on each install).
  • Front shocks, driver side is okay to install, just tight. Passenger side is tight and a pain in the butt due to the design of the top mounting of the shocks. In order to get the shock installed you need to cut the plastic honeycomb bracket that is up under the fender well under the battery area. I am not exactly sure what it is for but it is the only way to get the Allen wrench in the top of the shock and the wrench on the nut. A racket box end wrench is your friend. Since AEV states the Bilstein 5100 shock is tuned to their suspension system I contacted AEV about having the top of the shock to be designed like the stock shocks, but they made it sound like that isn’t an option.
  • Front brake line relocation bracket, actually for 2011 and newer it’s a “zip-tie” which is a joke. Spend $1100 on a lift and they give a zip-tie to hold the brake line next to the shock? I bought the TeraFlex brake like bracket that mounts to the bottom shock bolt, much better solution and AEV should include something similar as standard.

With the 2.5” lift AEV states that geometry correction brackets are not required, but recommended. I ordered them, but did not install them. I wanted them on hand in case I wanted to install them. If installed they would reduce ground clearance at the lower control arm mounting brackets. With over six months on the Jeep I do not see a need to install them and am happy with the steering. I will say that if I need to brake hard the front end does “dive” and is a little “squirrelly”, now is that due to no correction brackets or higher center of gravity? Guess I’ll never know. (And my wife is happy with the drive of hers without them, 33” BF KMO All terrain tires, side note - I don’t like those tires)

While it is a 2.5” lift, each lift netted over 3” of lift.

With over 6 months of the lift very happy with it. The ride quality is better then stock, on and off road. The Jeep corners very well and is stable without roll. Different lifts are designed, geared towards different types of wheeling, but I think the AEV is a good lift, comes with basically everything that is needed and I think will give long time of service and would definitely purchase the lift again. Off roading consist of dirt roads, snow, old logging roads and some rock crawling. I think the flex is very acceptable depending on your needs. Below is picture showing some of the flex and this is not even at the limit as the tires are still on the ground.

8F474402-A585-4155-B3A2-0851771CFF60.jpeg

Very informative and helpful write up. Thanks
for taking the time . I agree about not using the
geometry drop brackets . If one was mainly using
Jeep on the street or doing really mild trails that
3" hanging down wouldn't be a problem .
I could see myself getting hung up on those
frequently so going with adjustable control arms
to keep the caster within spec.
After suspension settled does the Jeep sit
prettty flat or does it still have a rake ?

Very informative and helpful write up. Thanks
for taking the time . I agree about not using the
geometry drop brackets . If one was mainly using
Jeep on the street or doing really mild trails that
3" hanging down wouldn't be a problem .
I could see myself getting hung up on those
frequently so going with adjustable control arms
to keep the caster within spec.
After suspension settled does the Jeep sit
prettty flat or does it still have a rake ?
The rake is still there, but not as pronounced as stock. I am not too sure how much of an issue the brackets would be, they are somewhat close to the tire so that helps the ground clearance. I bought a set with the first lift, but waited to see how it drove without them and overall seems fine. Welcome on the write up, just thought id share my real life experience with the lift. Teraflex and MetalCloak make good systems too. Seems like those are the top 3 I hear about.

The rake is still there, but not as pronounced as stock. I am not too sure how much of an issue the brackets would be, they are somewhat close to the tire so that helps the ground clearance. I bought a set with the first lift, but waited to see how it drove without them and overall seems fine. Welcome on the write up, just thought id share my real life experience with the lift. Teraflex and MetalCloak make good systems too. Seems like those are the top 3 I hear about.
Will lift 1st and let settle and if I measure or see a rake
will put in a spacer . I agree Teraflex, AEV and Metalcloak
are popular. Difficult to get Metalcloak in Canada .Was going
with Teraflex originally but I like what I've read about the
AEV lifts , specifically how the Bilstein shocks are tuned to
their springs . Havent read any negatives about AEV either
so that's really poisitive . Thanks again for the Intel. Apprrciate
it .