Advice Needed on Brakes and Wheel Bearings

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I think I know the answer, just not sure I want to do. Wife’s JK needs rear brakes. It is a 2015 JKU Sahara, 96K miles. Rear brakes need to be replaced. Question is should I replace the wheel bearings and seals? We are third owner and I have no idea what type of use it saw. Overall the underside was fairly clean, no real damage from off roading. Neither side is leaving drips or anything. The side I removed tonight there is some sludge on the inside of the rotor but nothing wet. Either way I’ve got time to think about as will be heading out to vacation this coming weekend and don’t have time between now and then.

I am thinking I should, just not sure I want to pull the axles.

With less then 100,000 miles they should still be good as long as the diff oil was always kept full and they were never under water.

Reactions: Danarch
I am sure they are “easy” just not sure I want to or the cost, but the cost isn’t bad seeing the parts on RockAuto. I’ll be thinking about it and what direction to go since I don’t know the history. The one other item is there is grease / sludge around the seal and inside of where the emergency brake shoes sit, bit there isn’t any wet fluid etc.

I am sure they are “easy” just not sure I want to or the cost, but the cost isn’t bad seeing the parts on RockAuto. I’ll be thinking about it and what direction to go since I don’t know the history. The one other item is there is grease / sludge around the seal and inside of where the emergency brake shoes sit, bit there isn’t any wet fluid etc.
Just check fluid level in rear end and drive it. I hate to kick a sleeping dog, you can get bit hard sometimes.

Just check fluid level in rear end and drive it. I hate to kick a sleeping dog, you can get bit hard sometimes.
That is a fact, its like after a great day off road, one more trail / time …………..

Reactions: mrjp
This is probably one of the truest statements! 👆

I was taught when checking the fluid to stick your pinky in the fill hole and bend it down. Fluid should just touch your pinky. That is full. Then wipe your pinky on a paper towel to check the color.

You can always change the fluid too. That's a sure sign you know what's going on in there. It's quick, easy, doesn't cost much and it will give you piece of mind if you have any doubts.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I think you're pretty safe. I just rotated tires and while the wheels were off we looked at the brakes and everything else we could (108k miles). Obviously, if you were going to do the brakes, the best time for everything else is when all the other stuff is on the garage floor. But unless there is some strong indication that something isn't right, I'd leave it.

Reactions: mrjp
Thanks again, here are a couple of pictures which is one of the reason I am thinking it needs to be replaced. There isn‘t any actual wet drips but I am thinking it should be more clean then this.

16E76EE8-64CE-4FF2-8E76-DFEC3EF3CE32.jpeg
951A7CA6-AA10-4CBD-B2C4-B260A20477E0.jpeg
FB280D44-224B-4DC0-8615-7FCA08CC3169.jpeg