A way to make it easier to put windshield down on my JK

Hi Guys,

Last year I purchased a Wrangler JK for my 2nd home, I love my Jeep but, was disappointed to learn that putting the windshield down was an inconvenient and time consuming process. I put the windshield down frequently on my Toyota FJ40 and Mercedes 250GD. A windshield down isn't for everyone but, I love the wind in my face. I know this issue was addressed in a 2018 JL but, I didn't want to spend the money on a newer model as I needed budget to modify the front end.

After a bit of research, I installed a Poison Spyder trail cage in my 2013 JK Sahara with plans for other modes to make it easier to put the windshield down. The process to install the trail cage was a bit difficult so I documented it on YouTube:

After installing it and making several other modes (E.g. cutting the windshield hinge mounting brackets, welding stubs to hold the windshield away from the trail cage) I am finally able to put the windshield down in about 60 seconds.

windshield-down-on-jeep-wrangler-jk.png

I love my ride and am getting ready to make similar mods to a JKU that I just picked up and was wondering if anyone out there has engineered an easier way to put the windshield down on their JK? Thank you for any suggestions.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
Long story. I wanted a defender but, not all the problems and inconveniences. I wanted a modern Wrangler but, everyone has one and I like to be different. So, I purchased a Wrangler and put a Defender front end on it. I love it and get the best of both.

What the hell... I've never seen anything like this before. I'm not sure it's my taste, but it's also very, very cool to say the least! In all the years I've owned so many Wranglers I've never put the windshield down once. Damn, I guess I need to add that to my bucket list!

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Long story. I wanted a defender but, not all the problems and inconveniences. I wanted a modern Wrangler but, everyone has one and I like to be different. So, I purchased a Wrangler and put a Defender front end on it. I love it and get the best of both.
I watched your vids after my post. Impressive work, my friend! I certainly appreciate the rationale as well. I've always wanted a D90 (and my wife likes the D110), but I just can't see spending that kind of money for what you get.

I would love to see that on a Jeep Jamboree... I'm sure some would go apoplectic! Congrats on the build and good luck on the business!

Re: Making the process easier... I don't know that you can improve too much on what you've done. The mere fact the w/s doesn't lay flat is proof enough that Jeep didn't really intend for it to fold down.

Hey Chris and JerryD, I own three different 4x4s: 1977 Toyota FJ40, 1992 Mercedes 250GD and the 2013 Wrangler shown in the picture. I didn't want an old Defender but, I like the look of them. The wrangler is the best of the three for sure.
fj40-defender90-mercedes250gd.jpg

I just purchased a JKU that I will turn into a D110 over the next 30 days.
green-machine.JPG

I'll post pics as I progress and probably create some youtube videos. I will sell it when I'm done.

I watched your vids after my post. Impressive work, my friend! I certainly appreciate the rationale as well. I've always wanted a D90 (and my wife likes the D110), but I just can't see spending that kind of money for what you get.

I would love to see that on a Jeep Jamboree... I'm sure some would go apoplectic! Congrats on the build and good luck on the business!

Re: Making the process easier... I don't know that you can improve too much on what you've done. The mere fact the w/s doesn't lay flat is proof enough that Jeep didn't really intend for it to fold down.
Hey JerryD, I converted another Jeep to a Defender. This time, it is a JKU to a Defender 110. I need to sell this one. I will post a better video on youtube soon. I took lots of pics on how I did it.

63736857622__6E1DEACE-0DC2-4B3C-947B-1B54755DDBE7.jpg

IMG_5631.JPG