3rd gear clicking sound

CopperJK

Hello Fellow Jeepers,

This is my first post so be gentle. I have a 2014 Copperhead Pearl JK with a 6 spd transmission. When cold the tranny does not make this sound. When up to temp it makes a distinct clicking sound when in 3rd gear only ( when under load, foot on the gas ) . This sound goes away when I push the shifter forward OR pull back ever so slightly. The tranny operates perfectly otherwise. I have messed around with AMS and REDLINE fluids and nothing makes a difference. I have read numerous articles and have found a few that have had the same issue and it was a struggle to actually figure out what's causing this sound. I know this tranny isn't the best and I don't expect it to operate like a sports car but it is quite annoying. I am thinking that since the shifter has a lot of play upwards when in 3rd ( 3rd gear only ) there is something up with my shift tower? I am thinking about installing a B&M shifter tower as the reviews state it is very stiff and positive during shifts.

Any thoughts comments would greatly be appreciated!

Cheers!

GO
Jeep.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate the reply!! Not what I want to hear BUT nothing I can do with out dealing with a full rebuild. I will just crank the music and once the weather gets better go top less!! Cheers!

I you was to look at a Parts break down for the trans you would see the shifting assembly that is inside the trans and then maybe understand what is going on. There can be issues with it going into reverse also because the plastic tabs on the assembly can break off.

But i'd still rather deal with those possible issues then a wiring problem shutting down my auto trans.

I you was to look at a Parts break down for the trans you would see the shifting assembly that is inside the trans and then maybe understand what is going on. There can be issues with it going into reverse also because the plastic tabs on the assembly can break off.

But i'd still rather deal with those possible issues then a wiring problem shutting down my auto trans.
Good Idea! I have seen an exploded parts diagram a while back before I really went into the deep dive I am on now. I will revisit. Thank you!!!

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Did you ever figure this out, or did you fix it with turning up the radio?😀 I had a slight clicking sound underneath last year under low RPM, moderate load in 1st gear. It sounds like someone tied a zip tie on my drive line an didn't cut the slack off, hitting the undercarriage every time it revolved.

Fast forward a year later, I'm doing Hell's Revenge in Moab last week and while in 4lo and letting off the gas in 1st gear (6 speed manual) with load on the driveline, the same sound occured and it was louder this time. It does it in 2nd gear also when in 2H, 4L, 4H.

The U-jount up front looks ok, but I'm prob not checking it correctly. I'll check the trans fluid to make sure it's topped off. Filled with Royal Purple last year and smelled a weird fluid during Hell's Revenge while climbing. I know the smell of burning motor oil and ATF4, but, since this one was a foreign, kind of burnt plant smell... I wondered if it was the Royal Purp. (no, I wasn't smoking weed).

Taking it to my mechanic today or next week, hopefully he can pinpoint it. But, he's not a Jeep expert.

Anyone experience this. What I'd love to hear is... "It's just a Jeep noise - just drive!" But, it's prob not 😀

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Hey There,

I am fully down this rabbit hole to where I can't see anything! LOL. Good news is the weather is getting warmer and the hard top is coming off right away, I will soon just be hearing the hum of my tires.. If I can't figure it out.

After reviewing a diagram of the shift fork assembly ( and watching a few you tube videos )within the tranny I am certain my shift tower is not fully holding the tranny in 3rd gear. Like I mentioned in my OG post no clicking when cold and when it does come up to temp I can push the shift lever forward while in gear and the sound stops.

I am sure you have seen a bunch of videos on YouTube where guys are having issues with their Jeep popping out of first, mine sometimes pops out a little aggressive even during an easy shift. It also does the same thing going from 3rd to 4th some of the time.

I feel more play upwards in the shifter in gears 1,3,5 and hardly any downwards. in 2,4,6.

So I have ordered the B&M shifter tower, I was hoping to not have to buy it BUT I love my Jeep and praying this works.
Check out a video on the AutoEdits you tube page for info on the Shifter. He didn't mention any funky sounds BUT does a nice job explaining and showing how to install the B&M product.

I will let you know how I make out. Fingers crossed!!!

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
My mechanic squeezed me in the other day before he left town. I have to bring it back for a full eval in a week.

Couple possibilities:

1. Throw out bearing: I told him to put a National brand in last year when he put a Luk clutch in. He said he checked out the Luk and National one, side by side, and they looked exactly the same, so he said he saved me $45 and put in the one that came with the kit.

I told him that if it was it, he should've listened to me. He told me not to believe everything I read online. I told him Jeepers knew more from experience 🤣

2. Clutch fork: when he put the clutch in last year, I told him to put washers on the clutch fork so it wouldn't rattle in the future... Well, that might be it too.

3. Synchros: Shit--- new tranny. Oh well if it is. I'll put in a B&M shifter too if he's going to put a new tranny in. That way, it won't be like shifting gears in a semi.

My tests in the mean time. I shifted from 2H to 4Lo multiple times to see if maybe the transfer case gears were loose. Still does it.

It really does sound like gears clattering. Only when decelerating in 1st & 2nd and putting a load on the trans. Sometimes it's louder than other times and I can feel it in the shifter. Could be any of the above really, but I'm not a mechanic.

I trust my mechanic will figure it out and he'll talk me out of a full tear down if he doesn't think it's serious.

Effing jeeps. I just hope it gets diagnosed in a week before I go back to Moab in mid-may. I do not want to get stuck on a trail.

Last edited:
My mechanic squeezed me in the other day before he left town. I have to bring it back for a full eval in a week.

Couple possibilities:

1. Throw out bearing: I told him to put a National brand in last year when he put a Luk clutch in. He said he checked out the Luk and National one, side by side, and they looked exactly the same, so he said he saved me $45 and put in the one that came with the kit.

I told him that if it was it, he should've listened to me. He told me not to believe everything I read online. I told him Jeepers knew more from experience 🤣

2. Clutch fork: when he put the clutch in last year, I told him to put washers on the clutch fork so it wouldn't rattle in the future... Well, that might be it too.

3. Synchros: Shit--- new tranny. Oh well if it is. I'll put in a B&M shifter too if he's going to put a new tranny in. That way, it won't be like shifting gears in a semi.

My tests in the mean time. I shifted from 2H to 4Lo multiple times to see if maybe the transfer case gears were loose. Still does it.

It really does sound like gears clattering. Only when decelerating in 1st & 2nd and putting a load on the trans. Sometimes it's louder than other times and I can feel it in the shifter. Could be any of the above really, but I'm not a mechanic.

I trust my mechanic will figure it out and he'll talk me out of a full tear down if he doesn't think it's serious.

Effing jeeps. I just hope it gets diagnosed in a week before I go back to Moab in mid-may. I do not want to get stuck on a trail.

DOES NOT CLICK ANYMORE, after....

1. I tightened up the nuts on the manual trans cross member. I went about 1.5 turns... Checked the torque after (IIRC 40LBS) and it was good. Changed the clutch last year, maybe my mechanic didn't torque?

2. I topped off the rear gear lube - used about 2oz til it started coming out. (now all fluids have been checked and all are clear/new still from last year).

Now, I can't replicate the sound, even when warm. Maybe the trans cross member loosened up and dropped a hair - enough to make a difference.

I'd hate to say I fixed it, that's just NOT my luck. Although, I did fix an oil leak by going 1/4 turn on all the bolts on the oil pan last Dec. No leaks again.

Whatever.... I'll bring her back to Moab in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, she doesn't shit in the middle of BFE on a trail.

I swear, my Jeep is like dating a psycho chick... Sexy, bi-polar, temperamental --- but, in I love riding the hell out of her and waxing her 😆

Reactions: Hooperdog
FANTASTIC NEWS!!! I will crawl under and check my tranny cross member. You never know.. Thanks for the input!! I am just moving and will get a chance to put in the B&M early June. Will let you know if that does the trick!!

Reactions: 72c10 and mrjp
Update w/ Moab: This Jeep just got the shit beat out of it on Top of the World (Moab) yesterday and rocked Hell's Revenge today. THE DAMN JEEP DIDN'T MAKE THE SOUND AGAIN. It was either the couple of ounces of rear diff fluid added to the 10 mo old juice that's in there OR the tranny cross member/support. This usually isn't my luck w/ out having to shell out some money- but, I'll take it.

I'm really tempted to order a B&M shifter.......

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch