2018 JK Sahara - questions about rust (picture examples)

Tom_H

Supporting Member
A couple weeks ago we bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

I have some questions about rust.

I am attaching four pictures, I am not sure if they will come thru in the proper order.

Here are my questions.

1) Is the rust at the bottom of the shock absorber anything to worry about, should I consider replacing it and if so, what is a good source ?

2) The drive-shaft seems quite rusty - is this a concern ?

3) This bracket that attaches to the Exhaust seems very rusty, should I consider replacement and if so, what is a good source ?

Lastly, I washed and waxed our Jeep. The hardtop seems a little faded, is there any kind of spray/treatment (Armorall) that is recommended ?

Thank-you in advance,
Tom - mid Michigan

Jeep_Roof.jpg

Jeep-Rust-on-Shock.jpg

Jeep-Rusty-Drive-Shaft.jpg

Jeep-Rusty-Exhaust-Bracket.jpg

I'm sure the shocks will need replaced before they rust away.

The exhaust will be iffy on how long it lasts but can be repaired if the rods rust away before the pipe needs replaced.

There is alot of metal on the drive shaft so that's normal rust for a Mi vehicle.

You could always take wire brush and try to get most of rust off then paint with rust preventer or Fluid Film.

Reactions: Tom_H
Wow! your under belly looks mint compared to mine. I agree with BLACKJKU. My 10yr shocks look brutal, but they still work for now. My top is all chipped and scratched to the white underlay. If you try and treat the top with coating, in my experience it all streaks down over the sides during a rainstorm.