2018 JK new speaker install: Polk DB652 speakers

jeepers

2018 JKU
Speakers: (4) Polk DB652

I wanted to replace the soundbar and dash knee speakers while still using the factory head unit. I read the polk db652 speakers are great for this and make for an easy install with a harness plug 'n' play if you will. After spending an hour getting the speaker together and mounted, it sounded worse than the blown stock speaker (lots of static and overall poor sound quality). Before going through the trouble of installing the other three I wanted to answer some questions.

Why did the speaker sound like crap? Do I need to purchase and install a new head unit? Could it be from playing through one new speaker and the stock speakers?? If so then I should continue with installing the other three and should expect them to sound normal with the four replacements??

I do not have much car audio/speaker knowledge. I was under the impression that I could install these speakers and they would be a nice upgrade from stock without having the replace the head unit and get an amp.

Please help😢

So, having replaced my soundbar speakers within the last year, I may be able to answer a couple questions with a few of my own first.
1. Which speakers did you replace- soundbar or dash- before you tested them?
2. Did you try wiring them and testing the sound before completing the install, one speaker at a time? I pulled the soundbar speakers and connected the wiring only to the new speakers just to make sure they weren't blown or there were other issues I'd need to address, one at a time. I adjusted the balance (L/R) to try each of them. This was before mounting them in the soundbar.
3. The factory speakers come with a connector of sorts that makes for easy speaker replacement. Was there a new one with the new speakers or did you use the old? You should not need any specific wiring harness, as a matter of fact the wiring connector should be interchangeable to your new speakers.

Reactions: mrjp
Hopefully, you did one of the soundbar speakers first and after you stuffed it with poly fill (pillow stuffing, makes the bass fuller).

Simply, no. It should not sound like that. I replaced my 2007 factory speakers (with stock head unit) with the Kicker/Mopar plug n play upgrades speakers all around. I tested each one individually when I plugged it in during installation, using the fade/balance controls so only that one would be heard. It was a night/day difference from the crappy stock ones that I couldn't hear at higher speeds at full blast. The Kickers sound 50% louder and cleaner without swapping out the head unit.

Maybe check your plug n play wiring or plug a different speaker in and see if it's a defected one... or just get the Kicker ones. I think they were about $140 on Amazon.

2018 JKU
Speakers: (4) Polk DB652

I wanted to replace the soundbar and dash knee speakers while still using the factory head unit. I read the polk db652 speakers are great for this and make for an easy install with a harness plug 'n' play if you will. After spending an hour getting the speaker together and mounted, it sounded worse than the blown stock speaker (lots of static and overall poor sound quality). Before going through the trouble of installing the other three I wanted to answer some questions.

Why did the speaker sound like crap? Do I need to purchase and install a new head unit? Could it be from playing through one new speaker and the stock speakers?? If so then I should continue with installing the other three and should expect them to sound normal with the four replacements??

I do not have much car audio/speaker knowledge. I was under the impression that I could install these speakers and they would be a nice upgrade from stock without having the replace the head unit and get an amp.

Please help😢

Do you have the premium sound system with the subwoofer in the back?