2015 OEM 4-pin to 7-pin tow connector

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Going to admit upfront, I am being lazy. The wife’s 2015 JKU has the Jeep OEM Tow Package, 3.73 gears.

• It has a 4 pin connector, does anyone know what is involved to switch it to a 7 pin connector?
  • Do I need to find a place to tap into power for the battery port?
  • Will all the wires need to spliced in? Or does the 7-pin plug into the existing harness? (As i said I am being lazy at the moment, not even sure if there is a plug).
  • I know a brake controller would need to be wired in (actually we picked up a Bluetooth brake controller).
Any input appreciated.

Thank you, since I am doing a Bluetooth brake controller I could. The thing is won’t give me battery power to the trailer to charge the batteries etc. while towing.

I suspect none of the wiring in the hitch harness is of sufficent gauge to charge batteries. I'd run a 4 gauge wire lead with an appropriate on/off switch from the battery to the hitch area and modify the camper system to use it instead.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I suspect none of the wiring in the hitch harness is of sufficent gauge to charge batteries. I'd run a 4 gauge wire lead with an appropriate on/off switch from the battery to the hitch area and modify the camper system to use it instead.

I agree, I think it is like a trickle charge. Haven’t had a trailer so it’s a new experience for me.

You didn't say what you are towing... if it's a camper I would get a small 20-30W solar charger and permanently mount it.

It is a A-Frame pop up camper trailer. Our club does a fair amount of “overnight” events so thought we would pick up a used one to be more involved. Our club hosts a poker run every year, plus cleans up the camp site area the month before it. Then they help Cal4WD with their Sierra Trek (portions Fordyce Trail) at the snack bar. So far we have only been able to go up for the day.

New venture for us. Well sort of, we both camped with our parents as kids but that’s been 35-40 years. Geez that makes me sound old.

Reactions: tJKrider
Did a little digging around last night. Looks like the 4-pin connector is routed up to the drivers rear taillight. No option for 7 pin from the factory.

Looks like there is a 7 pin kit. There is a plug that plugs into the existing 4 pin then you run two wires up to front, one for battery and one for the brake controller. Then third needs to be tied into the reverse light at the taillight.

Kind of stupid to sell a “towing kit” and not include wires for the 7 pin if you ask my opinion, but hey I guess no one did. Jeep got cheap. My 06 LJR with the tow package has a 7 pin and all the wiring installed.