2015 Jeep Wrangler will not start or crank unless it is jump started

salsilvad

Good morning guys! Really need some insight on to what might be wrong with my Jeep. We went on a trip 3 days ago, did a quick stop, and when I tried to turn my Jeep on, it would not crank at all. All lights are powered on, no dim lights at all. The jeep does however start right up if we jump start it. I can drive it for 2-3 hrs no problem but as soon as I turn it off, it will not start at all again. I did leave the battery at Autozone and is currently getting tested. Any other things I can check while the battery is being tested in case it is not a battery issue?

Make sure your battery cables and clamps are clean. If your battery tests ok then have your charging system checked.
Thank you will do! cleaned the terminals and checked all wires as soon as I got home. Will be picking up the battery in about another hour or two. Will be checking the alternator next as well to assure it is producing 12v+

Charge up the battery and see if it starts on it’s own. Right now I would suspect a bad cell in the battery. If the battery checks out the next thing would be starter drawing too much current. Before buying a starter I would make sure the cables are not corroded. That should get you going in the right direction.
If you can run it for 3 hours after jumping it I would suspect the charging system is ok. Easy test is volt meter at battery not running. Start it and voltage should be around 1 volt higher.

Thank you will do! cleaned the terminals and checked all wires as soon as I got home. Will be picking up the battery in about another hour or two. Will be checking the alternator next as well to assure it is producing 12v+

With the engine running it should be putting out 14.3 to 14.8 volts with all accessories off.

I just got a Foxwell BT-705 from Amazon. Great tool (I have 3 vehicles) it will test battery CCA, alternator, and starter future pre fails. It is a pain to remove the JK battery to have a shop load test it. Well, now I am going up and down the street testing every bodies cars and trucks because winter is coming. LOL. Good Luck.

Reactions: salsilvad
I just got a Foxwell BT-705 from Amazon. Great tool (I have 3 vehicles) it will test battery CCA, alternator, and starter future pre fails. It is a pain to remove the JK battery to have a shop load test it. Well, now I am going up and down the street testing every bodies cars and trucks because winter is coming. LOL. Good Luck.
Might have to invest in one myself! It definitely was a pain pulling out that battery LOL. I had to step up on my bumper to get a better grip on the battery! Seems like it is currently on Amazon for 108.99. Thank you!

Great! Cheapest and easiest outcome.
I’m surprised Chris hasn’t replied yet. We love helping. Other forums you get mostly smart a$$ comments. This is a true Jeep community. Virtually helping as if we were on the trails.

Great! Cheapest and easiest outcome.
I’m surprised Chris hasn’t replied yet. We love helping. Other forums you get mostly smart a$$ comments. This is a true Jeep community. Virtually helping as if we were on the trails.
I scared myself even more with all these “common” jeep wrangler issues I saw online LOL.
Definitely a great forum, I did see other forums and like you said, smartass remarks and hardly no real advice/help. Glad to join this community 👍🏼

Reactions: Tom_H and BLACKJKU
JK issues? No, never. The tow hooks in the front and back are for cosmetic reasons, right? (Todays smartass remark.)