2012 JK skid plate part number

justkeepontruckin

The passenger-side skid plate on my 2012 JK Sport has rusted out somewhat. It's not about to let go any time soon, but I do need to do something about it.

I can't seem to find a part number for it or an after-market product. Nor can I can't find any parts diagrams that show it. As it's the passenger-side plate, I'm assuming that it's not the fuel tank plate that has many after-market replacement products on offer. Can anyone help with any info? Thanks.

JustKeepOnTruckin

Are you talking about the plate that runs from below the passenger seat back to the rear wheels, only on one side? If so, that is the gas tank "skid plate".

It's a big pain in the but and more expensive than it should be. Here is the one I got, but it depends on your jeep, and that was awhile ago.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman-Products/326/999-900/10002/-1

The "skid plate" is actually the gas tank straps that hold it up. There are a ton of other actual skid plates that protect the tank, but they do not replace the factory one, they simply protect it.

The one above is for a four door. You didn't mention which you have.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Thanks for the reply. I do have the 2-door JK. I first thought that it might be the gas tank plate because it looks like what's being sold as such. But as the gas tank fill is on the drivers side, I figured the tank itself was on that side as well.

So--to make sure I'm understanding this right--the passenger-side skid plate is in fact the gas tank plate? I've seen a few for much less money than the dorman product. Thanks again.

JKOT

There are skid plates that are in addition to the gas tank skid plate. As MacGyver said the gas tank skid plate is actually what holds it in place.

If you find a gas tank skid plate that replaces the existing one, and is cheaper, post it up. Most that I've seen are in addition to the existing although it seems there is one that you could probably weld some tabs on to function as a gas tank support.

Dorman #
999-975 for the 2dr

Screenshot_20230608-120521~2.png

Mopar is even more, if you can get it.

Mine is starting to go, 13yrs of salt, can get a replacement from Amazon. Think it holds the gas tank up. I removed the skid plate for the transfer case years ago when I did an oil change, welded nuts were Bitched (salt again). I do not off road like the kids here, and it is going to make no difference when I hit that moose one day. On a positive note, we are allowed to keep the game meat we hit now in Ontario, just have to report it to the MNRF. Good Times

Thanks for the reply. I do have the 2-door JK. I first thought that it might be the gas tank plate because it looks like what's being sold as such. But as the gas tank fill is on the drivers side, I figured the tank itself was on that side as well.

So--to make sure I'm understanding this right--the passenger-side skid plate is in fact the gas tank plate? I've seen a few for much less money than the dorman product. Thanks again.

JKOT
Easiest way to tell is to take a picture and we can identify it super quick. Picture = 1000 words... etc.

Certainly sounds that way though, yes.

Follow-up: I ended up buying the Rough Country # 794 skidplate for $240-, shipping included. It's made to go over the factory one, but there's a youtube clip showing how to install it as a replacement. I guess you have to fashion an extra bracket if the factory one is removed, and you also have to use ratchet straps or some other method to hold the gas tank in place while doing the job. While I hated having the extra weight, I had my guy just install it over the other one. He charge $100-.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-j...ind=2012-jeep-wrangler-jk--2-door--4wd-737751

JKoT