2011 JK transmission (TCM) computer issues

Khanson364

I have some issues. A few months ago my check engine light came on for the torque converter code. The Jeep has no signs of issues it shifted fine. I had my fluid changed and the light went away. 100 miles later it came back on. I brought it in and we changed the fluid again and replaced the solenoids. The light went away and 100 miles later it came back. I brought it to a new guy who said it was low on fluid, we added fluid and it went away. Just like before I drove 80 miles and the light came back, then a few miles after that I was getting a hot oil alarm. I was just doing regular driving and it was shifting perfectly.

The only modifications are 33 inch tires and a 2.5 in budget boost.

thanks for the help

I'm going to guess there is nothing leaking? Do you check the fluid level when the light comes on?

How long does it take to go those 100 miles? Few hours? A week?

When you had the bigger tires and lift put on did you adjust the computer so that the speedometer reads correctly? This is very important in an automatic, because it's how the computer knows when to shift.

More options to follow depending on the answers to these questions.

Nothing is leaking and the mechanic checked the fluid and it is normal. That 100 miles takes closer to a week, this is my second car so I don't drive it too often. Typically I drive it a few miles around town and then a longer trip over the weekend (maybe 40 miles each way). Normally the light comes on during this longer trip. Once the light comes on it stays on, even if I let it sit for a couple of days.

The first time the light came on was shortly after I put on the budget boost. I was pretty sure that wouldn't have caused the issues but I could be wrong. I drove a few hundred miles after I put the wheels on, even some on the highway at high speeds with no issues.

I did not have the speedometer adjusted because I read that the difference between my stock tires and these 33's wouldn't make that much of a difference that it was crucial. I also chose these 33s since I thought I could get away without re-gearing. Was I wrong?

Today the mechanic called me and said they can't figure out what could be causing it and suggested a new transmissions.... I have been looking around online and think I might be able to prevent the hot oil warning by installing a transmission fluid cooler?

Thanks for the help.

How many miles are on it out of curiosity?

I know automatic transmissions in general tend to need rebuilding / replacing every 200k miles or so, but sometimes much sooner, especially if you tow heavy loads or run them really hot.

I'll also add that the 42RLE transmission in the 2007-2011 JKs is not a very good automatic transmission (that would be putting it lightly) to begin with, which doesn't help.

How many miles are on it out of curiosity?

I know automatic transmissions in general tend to need rebuilding / replacing every 200k miles or so, but sometimes much sooner, especially if you tow heavy loads or run them really hot.

I'll also add that the 42RLE transmission in the 2007-2011 JKs is not a very good automatic transmission (that would be putting it lightly) to begin with, which doesn't help.
I bought it with 61,000 last summer and now it has 64,500.

Is it low on fluid again? Check. Get the fluid to operating temp, and cycle though the shifter positions then back to park, then on a flat surface see what the stick says. Also, better the fluid is a bit low than too much. Too much is bad.

Transmission coolers are a cheap easy way to extend the life of transmissions so that is not a bad idea, you don't need to go with one of the fancy ones. I put a small one that cost me $29 from Auto Zone on a POS I use for work and the difference was huge.

From what size to what size did the tires change? Give us exact numbers. Did you have the stock 225/75/16s or the larger 255/75/17s ? What are the sizes of the new ones?

Is it a sport, rubicon or sahara? This matters because they all came with different tire sizes. If it is a sport (I think still called "X" in 2011) then those came stock with 29" tires and that is a significant change. Regardless I would adjust even if there is a .5 inch change.