2011 JK is making a chirp noise

so2315

I have a 2011 Jeep JK that I purchased used with 26K miles on it. It has the 3.8L and is a manual. Previous owner was meticulous with care, and recently I have been bothered by a chirp coming from the engine bay when warm. I have used a stethoscope and narrowed it down to the area around the power sterring pump. I tried the water on the belts, changed the idler pulley and belt tensioner and replaced the belt thinking it was one of them prior to using the stethoscope.
The pump was fine, no issues or leaks, but the chirp definately was coming from there. I ordered a new OEM pump and swapped it out. After the Jeep warmed up, the chirp has now returned. It doesn't change with the clutch being in or out, and definately is coming from the area around the power steering pump. Definately not in the engine block, and all other componets such as the water pump check out OK with the chirp being the loudest when I touch the back of the power steering pump.
This has me stumped, and it is annoying as hell. Any ideas where to look for this? It only does it when warmed up, and the chirp speeds up with engine rpms, yet comes and goes.

I have updated with a video so you can hear the chirp. I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.
Video here:

I have used the stethoscope, and the sound is loudest when I touch the power steering pump base. Nothing on the A/C, water pump or tensioner. Keep in mind I replaced the PS pump with a brand new OEM pump and pulley, along with a new OEM tensioner, and even tried a new belt. I am at a total loss, as you can hear it's not really a hard metallic click or clunk, but almost a harmonic chirp.

No, it was doing it before. That is why I changed the pump is because the sound is strongest from the pump base.

tried the water on the belt and that didn't help. I know it's hard to tell from a video, but the sound sounds like it is internal if that makes sense.

I have a 2011 Jeep JK that I purchased used with 26K miles on it. It has the 3.8L and is a manual. Previous owner was meticulous with care, and recently I have been bothered by a chirp coming from the engine bay when warm. I have used a stethoscope and narrowed it down to the area around the power sterring pump. I tried the water on the belts, changed the idler pulley and belt tensioner and replaced the belt thinking it was one of them prior to using the stethoscope.
The pump was fine, no issues or leaks, but the chirp definately was coming from there. I ordered a new OEM pump and swapped it out. After the Jeep warmed up, the chirp has now returned. It doesn't change with the clutch being in or out, and definately is coming from the area around the power steering pump. Definately not in the engine block, and all other componets such as the water pump check out OK with the chirp being the loudest when I touch the back of the power steering pump.
This has me stumped, and it is annoying as hell. Any ideas where to look for this? It only does it when warmed up, and the chirp speeds up with engine rpms, yet comes and goes.
Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue and replaced same parts you have except power steering pump.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue and replaced same parts you have except power steering pump.
No, I still haven't figured this out. How about you? I have replaced tensioners, belt, power steering pump and according to my stethoscope it is comming from the base of the power steering pump

Have you checked to see if it's one of the bolts, particularly the bottom since that seems to be the source? Perhaps RPMs and tension is turning a bolt? I did some research thru other forums and article and found 2 most likely causes:
1. Air cavitation- air in the lines. Remember, the reservoir and pump are not a lot unlike your cooling system and the system needs to be air free.
2. Bad impeller on the pump. I know you said the pump is new, so I'm thinking/hoping it may be the easier one to fix (above).

I also read one article that suggested running the engine without the belt and listen for the chirp. Not sure I'd do this, but....

With the belt off there is no noise, so it has to be the alternator, water pump, steering pump, or tensioner. Hate to throw money and parts at it w/o knowing what part it is. I did replace the steering pump and tensioner. There has to be someone out there who has heard this before. The video shows the sound the best

Did you add the correct fluid? Is the fluid at the full mark? Did you try and get all the air out of the line?

I'm going to say a bad impeller in the ps pump. If there is no noise when the belt is off, and you've isolated the chirp to the ps pump, not sure what else it could be.

HARMONICS CAN SOMETIMES TRAVEL LIKE WATER FROM A LEAK.
DID U CHECK THE RADIATOR FAN BEARING.. I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY A CLUTCH..
ALSO U DIDN'T MENTION A SMOG PUMP?

ALSO ARE YOU REUSING THE SAME CAP TO THE FLUID PUMP? THE SEAL COULD BE BAD.. SUCKING OR BLOWING AIR