2011 JK Daytime Running Lights

SteveB

We love our 2011 JK Rubicon but 2 apparent design flaws have been frustrating. (1) The brightness of the daytime running lights is pathetic. Yes, we can turn on the headlights each time we drive during the day, but has anyone found a way to brighten the pathetically dim daytime lights?
(2) Another inadequate design feature is the hand brake. We've asked the shop (dealers) on numerous occasions to try to adjust/tighten the parking break. It will not hold the vehicle at all. The only thing that does hold the vehicle is the transmission being in park. The brake does nothing.
Any solutions to these two issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Somewhere under the hood there is a black box that has a big wire-wound resister in it to make the headlights dim.
You can either bridge the thing for bright lights.....Or you can invest in a Jscan. with which you can change a lot of stuff to your liking. Reads trouble codes too.

Reactions: mrjp
We love our 2011 JK Rubicon but 2 apparent design flaws have been frustrating. (1) The brightness of the daytime running lights is pathetic. Yes, we can turn on the headlights each time we drive during the day, but has anyone found a way to brighten the pathetically dim daytime lights?
(2) Another inadequate design feature is the hand brake. We've asked the shop (dealers) on numerous occasions to try to adjust/tighten the parking break. It will not hold the vehicle at all. The only thing that does hold the vehicle is the transmission being in park. The brake does nothing.
Any solutions to these two issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The parking brake not holding is serious. What exactly have you been told?

Somewhere under the hood there is a black box that has a big wire-wound resister in it to make the headlights dim.
You can either bridge the thing for bright lights.....Or you can invest in a Jscan. with which you can change a lot of stuff to your liking. Reads trouble codes too.
Thanks f
Thanks for that info. Any hint where the black box is located before I start tearing open boxes?

Get Jscan. Do not mess with any wiring in a modern vehicle if avoidance is at all possible.

I turned on my DRL selecting the high beam, and then selected 50%. It has options for up to 100% DRL.
The computer controls all the lights so you can select which bulb you want to light.
Jscan should be the first thing you purchase when you get sucked into the JK world.

Don

Edit: The consensus is that the JK parking brake is weak. I have yet to find any claim of a definitive fix.

Reactions: cyberpyr8
Edit: The consensus is that the JK parking brake is weak. I have yet to find any claim of a definitive fix.

As I've said before, the only time I even pull up the handle on my e-brake is when I clean the inside of my JK and the occasional loose french fry finds its way underneath it.

(1) The brightness of the daytime running lights is pathetic. Yes, we can turn on the headlights each time we drive during the day, but has anyone found a way to brighten the pathetically dim daytime lights?
The JScan app will allow you to set up your DRLs.

Personally, when I replaced my headlights and fogs with a much better than stock product, I programmed my fogs to operate as DRLs. Has a very nice and practical look going down the road.